Wireless Meeting room display (Joan6) unable to connect to Guest SSID

Solved
This2shallpass
Getting noticed

Wireless Meeting room display (Joan6) unable to connect to Guest SSID

Hi, 

This Wireless meeting room device cannot connect to the Meraki Guest SSID network. The only change that was done - switch the client IP assignment from Local LAN to Meraki DHCP on Guest SSID. Tried connecting the Device to hotspot & it connects so no issues with the Room display device.

Not sure if any changes are to be made in the below settings

This2shallpass_0-1691696316425.png

This2shallpass_1-1691696345833.png

This2shallpass_2-1691696386361.png

This2shallpass_3-1691696438156.png

1 Accepted Solution

WiFi is Layer 2... so If you are getting an IP.... it isn't the WiFi.... you are being blocked by a firewall somewhere..

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's a click. Is it possible to open the page on these devices to click the button?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I guess it doesn't support that. is this because of the splash page sign on ?

This2shallpass_0-1691697142124.png

Probably yes.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Thanks! Will try changing the setting "allow non http traffic prior to sign on"  & check.
However, this device is connecting to guest SSID & disabling the option will allow direct Internet access to guest machines. Any suggestions what can be done ?

Won't an SSID with WPA2 + PSK solve your problem?

Tried creating one with similar setting but the device disconnects after 40-50 secs which is weird. i will try to change the  add additional DNS server as well. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can whitelist the device/bypass the splash page 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I totally forgot about that option.

i will try doing that

Tried Whitelisting with a Group profile too .. Doesn't seem to connect

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Why have a splash page at all? 

The other thing I’ve done with these room displays is create a hidden 2.4 GHz only SSID. That worked well

Please feel free to hit that kudos button

Could you share the config settings pls

Hi @This2shallpass you'll need to amend or create a new Radio Profile to assign to the new SSID.

Wireless > Configure > Radio Settings.

Change to Enable 2.4 Ghz only and then apply that profile to your SSID.

DarrenOC_0-1691738888157.png

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks Darren, so these devices are connected to Guest SSID. Will enabling 2.4GHz band only create any issue for guest user internet access. ?

Hi @This2shallpass - I would leave your existing SSID's alone and as mentioned previously create a new SSID for the devices in question to use 2.4GHz only.

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Also the RF settings page has a lot of other options. Do i need to select or change anything specific.

The Device connects for a few seconds & then disconnects

This2shallpass_1-1691741849071.png

Copy one of your existing Radio profiles and just enable use 2.4GHz only.

There is none & i am new to this part. Apologies!

hi @This2shallpass - make a copy of your existing Guest SSID and we'll use that for testing purposes.  Once you've made a copy maybe rename to MeetingRm_Wless or something applicable to your use case.

Now we have a separate SSID for testing purposes and this won't affect your existing network.

Go back to Radio Settings and copy one of the existing RF Profiles - by default they'll be one called Basic Indoor Profile or Basic Outdoor Profile.

Are you able to get that far?

Yes Darren, completed this this part.

In the RF profiles went with Per SSID selection & selected target SSID to 2.4 GHz

This2shallpass_0-1691753634785.png

excellent - so are the devices now connecting at 2.4ghz and stable?

So, unfortunately no one is available at site to help with forgetting the old SSID on the device  & connecting to the newly configured one. I will have an update hopefully on Monday. Lets hope that the device gets connected & is stable. Thanks for helping me out this far. Appreciate it.

Tried connecting to the newly configured SSID but not luck.. The device is getting the IP address.. No idea why it isn't connecting to Internet.

WiFi is Layer 2... so If you are getting an IP.... it isn't the WiFi.... you are being blocked by a firewall somewhere..

i am suspecting that now. Need to get in touch with the team managing the FW

The issue was with the device certificate & it also needed persistent TCP connection to their Server which was somehow blocked by the FW. This is rectified now. 

Thank you!

@This2shallpass - you may have too many SSIDs too… ideally you’d top out at 3 per band. It might just be that the 2.4 GHz band is too congested. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button

Yes, that is also one of the issue which is creating intermittent issues. Thank you for the guidance & help

This2shallpass
Getting noticed

Thank you all for the guidance & suggestions & helping me with this issue.

In this process of tshoot i learned Meraki best practice implementation. 

No problem @This2shallpass

we’re happy to help and share our experiences and knowledge 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels