Wifi connection issue with Windows 11Pro desktop

LakesideLion
Getting noticed

Wifi connection issue with Windows 11Pro desktop

Stumped on a wifi connection issue that I thought was easy to do.

I have an SSID, photolab, that's hidden.  When I set the security to "password ",  my windows 11 desktop can't connect to it.  If I set the security to "Open.  No encryption"  it works great.  I connect no problem.  I set it back to password and despite typing in the password correctly, I can't connect.

I have the WPA encryption set to WPA3 only.

It seems like this should work.   I have another SSID coming out of the same AP that does security through a radius server with WPA3 encryption and that works fine.  So I don't think it's an encryption issue.   I've updated the desktop computer until there were no more updates.  Is there something else that I'm missing?

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try with WPA3 transition mode or WPA2 only. When only WPA3 is enabled, clients that do not support 802.11w will not connect.

Then try one of them by enabling unsupported clients or disabling 802.11w.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is a common issue with WiFi NICs beaconing for hidden SSIDs.  Don't expect to be able to resolve this issue while you are using a hidden SSID.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

I also know with Windows devices, it's always best to make sure you have the latest drivers for the WiFi NICs. Those have fixed many issues I've had with Windows devices not behaving as expected when connecting.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels