Using a router alongside Meraki APs

TCStech
Comes here often

Using a router alongside Meraki APs

I know little about networks so excuse my ignorance. Our campus has a network with 22 Meraki 42/56/78 APs. I had to move my office's AP into another room to solve a problem there and now my office is the only place without WiFi access. It is a small room and I am the only person in there, although at times I may have 2-3 other computers actively online for updates etc. I am hoping I can avoid purchasing another AP and license. There isn't another AP close enough where boosting its strength would solve the problem. Am I able to just use a router for my office? I heard this can cause problems. Any other suggestions for a low-cost solution? 

thank you!

8 Replies 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes you could buy a cheap wifi access point to use however you do run the risk of creating interference and if you set it up using the same SSID the Meraki dashboard will see it as a rogue device, this isn't a problem since you have added the device but something to be aware of.

On a personal note if you don't know much about networks it might pay to get someone who does to help you. You don't really want to be making change to a production network if you are unsure what you are doing. 

Thank you for that info! For any big changes, I always outsource, but was hoping I could find a simple and inexpensive solution to this. I may just try the router and do some testing. If it causes any issues, I will look into a Meraki solution and/or reach out to the network experts we use. 

Thank you!

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is what I always think about in situations like these:

KarstenI_0-1695876198112.jpeg

There may have been a well-thought-out design for your WLAN. Adding a new wireless router will change a lot. As @BlakeRichardson says, you better get someone with wireless expertise to help you.

HA! That exact meme is hanging  on my office wall....

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you don't have other Meraki devices in your office, any home Wifi solution will solve your problem, but if you still have Meraki equipment scattered around your office, it wouldn't be advisable to put another Wifi solution in parallel. This could end up harming your Wireless example and end up causing more problems than benefits.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thank you for that info! The closest AP is a couple of classrooms away. Not much distance maybe 40 ft, but a few walls in between. I get virtually zero connection in my office from that access point. 

TCStech
Comes here often

Thank you all. Between what you suggested and what our network/security consultants said, I have opted to just spend the money to add a new Meraki AP. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just buy another Meraki AP and save yourself the heart ache.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels