Second AP unable to come online

Jaakkot
Comes here often

Second AP unable to come online

My first post here, hello Meraki community! As I can't find a solution to my Meraki issue, first time after so many years of use.

About my set up: I have a set up of one Meraki Switch (MS120-8-LP) and two access points (MR33). The switch and one AP is working fine, but for some reason the other AP is unable to connect to cloud and come online.

I've gone through Meraki troubleshooting guide and tried different cables, different ports, with PoE and with injector. I've even tried connecting the problematic access to the same port, with the same cable that the functioning has been using, but it's still unable to come online. When looking at the ports of my switch in the dashboard, it does recognize that the access point is there (including MAC address in CDP/LLDP) and it's using PoE, but when clicking to the access point, it's unreachable. 

I have ran out of ideas of what to try next. I thought that the AP could be broken, but then I tested plugging in an endpoint and it could not come online either, so the issue might not be access point. Same story here, in CDP/LLDP section I can see the MAC-address of the device.

If you have any tips of what I could try to do solve this please let me now. I've gone through the forum a lot and tried bunch of stuff, but nothing has yet been a hit.

Big thank you in advance!

13 Replies 13
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any firewalls on your network that could be blocking communication?

It doesn't seem like a logical problem on the network, but it would be good to double check.

Have you tried factory resetting the AP?
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hello and thank you for your reply. No, there are no firewalls. I did factory reset the AP as well.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did the AP receive an IP address?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

No unfortunately, it did not. Might be worth mentioning that when I enable meshing from network wide - general, the AP starts working as a repeater.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The last time I saw similar behavior it was necessary to request an RMA from the AP.

I was thinking the same, but after plugging in an videoconferencing endpoint directly to the switch, the endpoint did not receive IP either. For an unknown reason it seems that the switch is only giving give IP address to the AP that is currently working.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you please share the switch port configuration?

Absolutely:

Port status Enabled
Type Trunk
Native VLAN1
Allowed VLANs all
Access policy Open
Link negotiation
Auto negotiate (1 Gbps)
RSTP Enabled (Forwarding)
Port schedule Unscheduled
Port isolation Disabled
Trusted DAI Disabled
UDLD Alert only
Tags none
PoE Enabled
Port mirroring Not mirroring traffic

I can see that there is minimal traffic going all the time.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just to confirm, your native vlan is 1 correct? Do you have IPs available in DHCP?
Who is your DCHP server and Network Gateway?

Yes, native vlan is 1 correct, the settings are identical to the port where I have functioning AP. DHCP and Network Gateway are provided by the Service Provider, which I don't have direct access to. Makes it more tricky.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The ideal would be to perform a packet capture to validate that requests are at least arriving at the DHCP server. You may have to request support from your provider to help with these validations.

Indeed. Just a thought, do you think it could help with the DHCP issue if I would add a MX device between the switch and Gateway?

TBHPTL
A model citizen

If the LED is orange you are not getting an IP or you are getting an IP and it's not getting out to the Meraki cloud. check the physical layer and dhcp logs..   You saying it works in mesh mode points to the physical cable or ports being faulty. I have seen APs power up with bad cables that kill data but will still supply PoE.....

Also its Cisco Meraki, if you have a license RMA the device. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels