Help setting up Management VLAN

Elembemedia
New here

Help setting up Management VLAN

I need some help setting up a correct management VLAN. I am currently not using one and running into an issue that is document here (https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wireless_Troubleshooting/Wireless_Issue_Resolution_Guide#SSIDs_i..) on on why I don't get an IP with my wireless clients when their SSID's share the same VLAN tag as the trunk port does.Here is what I understand I need to do, but please help me.

1. Build new management VLAN (VLAN ID 254)

2. Change management VLAN on all switches to new VLAN ID

3. Reboot all the switches so their IP comes from the new VLAN

4. Change my uplink ports on on the switches to native VLAN 254 and allow my other VLANs

5. Change the VLAN for my AP's to the new management VLAN and reboot so they get an IP in there

6. Tag my SSID's with their correct VLAN which is no longer the native on the uplink ports

That sound correct?

1 Reply 1
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You're using Meraki switches and APs?

And yes, your steps sound ok. You shouldn't need to reboot anything. The devices will get proper IPs given a little time. If you want to reboot for faster IP acquisition that's fine too.

I do essentially the same thing here.

Switch mgmt VLAN 72. In my case my switch uplink is native 172, allow all.

AP mgmt VLAN 71. Switch to AP is trunk native 71, allow all. So, I don't have to do anything for the AP config. Just leave it default and it gets a VLAN 71 IP for mgmt.

Client SSID tagged for various VLANs using IPSK and Group Policies for VLAN assignment (cameras, regular clients, IoT devices, etc).

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels