Client Roaming Analytics (beta) - Frequent Roaming

NetEngJH
Here to help

Client Roaming Analytics (beta) - Frequent Roaming

I'm looking for some advice on this client that had a very bad Zoom meeting experience during this period on our WiFi network.  From the new "Client Roaming Analytics" it looks like the client is roaming to Access Points with worse RSSI as well as SNR.  This is a Windows10 client.  

During the same meeting, someone with a MacBook Pro was connected to the same Access Point as the Win10 client, and did not have the same experience, the connection was completely stable.  

At the moment I'm thinking that this is going to be down to the roaming aggressiveness of the client, or driver issues of some sort.  If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd welcome them.

2023-06-07_14-10-55.png

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Roaming is a client decision. You can try setting another value for Roaming sensitive on Windows wifi nic propriety.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

If you have 802.11r enabled, try disabling it to.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have Client balancing On ?

What kind of wireless NIC is Win10 PC using ?

NetEngJH
Here to help

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz

Client Balancing is on as well as 802.11r

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would disable Client Balancing unless you are in a high density environnement.  Probably update the drivers to the latest 22.220.0 and check for roaming sensivity / aggressiveness on the client 

NetEngJH
Here to help

Thanks for the reply, I'm not seeing anything in terms of client balancing in the logs that is relevant, only 4 entries for devices that aren't this one.  Would you expect to see something else here if this was causing a problem?

2023-06-07_15-46-15.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels