Bandwidth Speed not what I thought.

EMH-Young
New here

Bandwidth Speed not what I thought.

I feel like I should know this, but I'm curious as to why when I'm plugged into my local network it get almost my full 1gb on speedtest, but once on the Meraki, it cuts it in half.  We didn't set up any shaping or limits on our merakis.  With netgear APs in our satellites, they get almost the whole amount on a speedtest.  What am I missing?  We upgraded to a Gig and exec does a speed test, but doesn't see it.  Help

5 Replies 5
marce1000
Getting noticed

- You may find hints in this document which could be applicable for your environment too: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/220877-troubles...

M.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For gbit speed on wifi ax you need to use at least 80Mhz channels on the ap and a client capable of using 2 streams on 80mhz. And thats theoretical when your almost sit on the ap and your the only client

ammahend
Getting noticed

what's the source and destination between which you are measuring speed ?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want "friendly" WiFi, to both all of your users and other WiFi people from other businesses - getting a 500Mb/s throughput is very good.

For WiFi6 and below you can go up to 80Mhz of channel width.  This will consume a great gob of bandwidth, and is not that friendly.  One person can get a good throughput at the expense of everyone else.  You also need a very clean WiFi environment.

For WiFi 6E, you can have even wider channels.  WiFi 6E has a lot more spectrum as well.  If you have Meraki WiFi 6E APs now, and you have WiFi 6E capable clients, you could consider this option.

And of course, make sure 2.4Ghz  is disabled, because the performance sucks.

RWelch
Getting noticed

If wireless device has private relay or some type of app VPN, be sure it's OFF to get direct results.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels