MG21E on a food truck

Kasper
Here to help

MG21E on a food truck

I know the MG21 isn't ruggedized but I've a vice president in my company who insists on using the MG21E on a food truck. Everything will be powered off during transportation and will be powered on once the food truck makes its stop for a few days.

Has anyone tried doing something like this? 

15 REPLIES 15
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Interesting idea. 🙂

Guess it could be done, at least the MG21E is IP67 rated so could be placed at the food trucks outside.

Also given the MG21E has external antennas, the antennas could be mounted outside the truck & the MG could be mounted inside - just needs a short cable through the truck (sealed of course).

drgnslyr
Getting noticed

We don't use MG21s, but we have cellular modems in some of our mobile equiment, just need to make sure you can provide the correct power and are travelling in areas covered by the cellular provider.  Sometimes wish Meraki had come out with these about a year sooner, so we could have used them and had one dashboard.

JohnGeorge
Here to help

My Woe Story -

MG21E = woes for me with Verizon, so I end up using the inSeego DS USB Modem on the MX64
They didn't recognize the IMEI, blah blah....

*Edit*

The most important factor!

This does not require PoE injector, so this means rebooting the MX also reboots the modem!

So here comes the ....
https://www.inseego.com/solution/skyus-meraki/
It just works and flawlessly using the USB port.

Pros
Powered and connects via the USB port
25-30 Mbps to the device with crudy LTE service inside the IDF
No PoE Injector
2 SIM Cards
Damn small form factor

Cons
Powered and connects via the USB port
->Speeds limited by USB

There are caveats like NAT, Port Forwards, etc., but this works great when Internet access is just needed.

I trialed the MG21 and it seemed to work great (on verizon too). No issues on my side.

They are rated to be outdoors, so it would probably be in your best interest to see if you can get it securely mounted (easily removed for night-time storage or something) to ensure best signal quality etc.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@Nolan
Verizon was telling me that the IMEI is not recognized?
Anything special that you had to do to get it working? Static IP. etc. ?
Thx!

Well I know Meraki and Verizon are currently (and have been for the last 6-12 months) having issues with getting the MX67/68 (presumably the MG21 also) IMEI numbers auto-activated (some sort of political nightmare).

So anytime I want to bring up a new MX67C, I have to contact my Verizon account rep, provide him with all the information (SIM card number and MX IMEI number) and then I have to open a ticket with Meraki support and have them do 'whatever' on their side to get it activated with Verizon.

The process should not have to involve Meraki support, because it should be an unnecessary step, but because of whatever issue is going on between the two, for right now you have to.
TwitterLinkedIn

I have MG21 on Verizon.  Works well.

MG21E does not work with Verizon sim sold by Visible. Anyone has got it working.

Pynical
Comes here often

For Verizon specific, here were our steps to get it to work and have VZW recognize the IMEI:

1. Put SIM into a Verizon approved device (for our client, they had a RedLion RX50 as a spare)

2. Wait for service to work, check your VZW account to ensure the IMEI is showing associated to the device

3. Connect to MG21(e) and configure the appropriate APN

4. Put SIM into MG21(e) and power up

5. Walk away, go get coffee. Upon return, if white light not blinking, power cycle MG

6. Walk away again, refill coffee.  Upon return, if white light not blinking, power cycle MG

7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 a few more times

8. Verbalize the following incantation: "D*&!@t ... Just work!"

9. Your white light should now be blinking with Verizon and will ultimately turn to purple (while I like purple, bad color choice that doesn't fit the norm in my opinion)

9a. If you're a consultant like me, about the time you verbalize your client will walk in and ask if the incantation worked.

10. Deploy to your environment and test to your heart's content.

(For any Meraki mods reading why purple is bad.  Short version: A client broke their ISP modem.  The stock indicator colors on the device are: Blue - good, Red - bad, Orange - connecting.  The onsite user decided that IT was overrated and attempted to resolve a (Meraki) firmware update issue on their own instead of waiting for our phone call.  They pressed the (disabled) WPS button so hard on the ISP modem they broke the WPS daughterboard which lit two of the indicator lights.  Any guesses which two?  hint: go back to grade school art class - which two colors make purple? ... Anyway, I wish the MG indicator light was white/blue like everything else so we don't have to retrain users)

Hi

Thank you for your response.Some of the steps have already been tried. I have also Meraki TAC to take look at this issue. 

1. Put SIM into a Verizon approved device (for our client, they had a RedLion RX50 as a spare) - Done

2. Wait for service to work, check your VZW account to ensure the IMEI is showing associated to the device - Done

3. Connect to MG21(e) and configure the appropriate APN -  Done

4. Put SIM into MG21(e) and power up - Done

5. Walk away, go get coffee. Upon return, if white light not blinking, power cycle MG - Kept it running whole night 

6. Walk away again, refill coffee.  Upon return, if white light not blinking, power cycle MG- Kept it running whole morning

7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 a few more times - Power cycled, re-seated SIM and tried above steps

8. Verbalize the following incantation: "D*&!@t ... Just work!" - 🙂

9. Your white light should now be blinking with Verizon and will ultimately turn to purple (while I like purple, bad color choice that doesn't fit the norm in my opinion)

9a. If you're a consultant like me, about the time you verbalize your client will walk in and ask if the incantation worked.

10. Deploy to your environment and test to your heart's content.

Still of no use.

Meraki TAC says that the Verizon SIM from Visible is not supported on MG21E.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I used a Verizon SIM in an MG21 and it worked for me (inside USA). I know Meraki and Verizon are having an issue right now, so every single time I get an MX67C for example, I have to open a case with Meraki TAC and have them 'allow' or whatever, the device to work on the Verizon network. Don't have to do that with AT&T. Something political on the back-end or something that is/was supposed to be resolved in the near future/far future.
TwitterLinkedIn
Pynical
Comes here often

Do you have a second cellular modem that is compatible with Verizon?  - Nevermind ... I missed this in the response.

Try a few power cycles.  It wasn't an immediate hit first time up, it wasn't a let it sit overnight either.  A few power cycles post lights cycling ... then hang for a bit before repeating the cycle.  

We've got 5 demo MGs running in the field right now.

Kasper
Here to help

Thanks all for the input and other potential solutions. This particular food truck will be in Germany. I've verified, and tested it is fully functional with Vodafone, but to ensure the best quality we're purchasing a second MG21E with T-Mobile. I haven't heard an official word from Meraki or Telekom Deutschland (T-Mobile) but didn't know if that network works in the states.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.