MG21E Data Usage

SOLVED
RestaurantGuy
Here to help

MG21E Data Usage

We have set up an MG21E as a failover connection for a restaurant.  Works very well and fails over fast and none of the issues we had using the USB devices connected directly to the MX.

Our issue is that the MG seems to be using about .13Mbs of data at a fairly constant rate when we are not in a fail over state.  With one device this is not a huge issue, but we have a shared data plan and are planning to add them to all of our locations, meaning that data usage will become an issue.

Does anyone know of a way to limit the amount of data usage or better manage data while not being the primary connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Re: MG21E Data Usage

You can check it at you mx

Sd-wan & traffic shaping > Active-Active AutoVPN

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal

@RestaurantGuy : The MG21 cellular gateway uses 6 to 8 megabytes or little more  a day of data for telemetry on dashboard and connection monitoring when the unit is idle.

Any additional Cisco Meraki devices that are added to the MG21 may increase data usage further. Cisco Meraki products are cloud connected devices that report telemetry into Dashboard for network monitoring purposes.

Inderdeep_0-1623767906741.png

Check page no 2, above the use cases

https://media.trustradius.com/product-downloadables/F6/X7/BB87PR4HXTPE.pdf

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)
RestaurantGuy
Here to help

Sounds like I need to go and add the ability to send it's telemetry out through the Ethernet port to the wish list!

Thanks for the clarification.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In case you use mx auto vpn, you can choose to not run active vpn on wan2 . 

RestaurantGuy
Here to help

I don't see the option of controlling the secondary WAN usage of the VPN.  I thought it only created a connection to the active WAN interface?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can check it at you mx

Sd-wan & traffic shaping > Active-Active AutoVPN

View solution in original post

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

From my experience, Meraki devices generate about 100MB of telemetry data per month.

So if you had an MG21E with an MX plugged into it for backup, I would expect to see 200MB of usage per month if the link is never used for actual data.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.