Wireless Clients frequently disconnects

maazeem88
Just browsing

Wireless Clients frequently disconnects

Hi There.

We are facing a frequent disconnection of our Wireless Clients on our Meraki MR44 access points. We are running the current stable release 29.4.1 on all our access points.

The user is stationed at his desk and he gets disconnected frequently within every 20-30 minutes.

When we see the event log for the user it shows client disassociation --> Unspecified reason.

Clients are running Win 10 and there Wireless adapter is up to date.

Any expertise suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Abdul Azeem.

13 REPLIES 13
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@maazeem88 : Check this one 
Common Wireless Event Log Messages and Issues - Cisco Meraki
802.11 disassociation issues - The Meraki Community

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try disabling WiFi power saving with these two commands:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0

Dear Philip

Thank you for your suggestion, i believe this change has to be done on the client machine. I will make these changes today and keep you posted with results.

Best Regards,

Abdul Azeem.

Dear Philip,

We are experiencing the issue while the client is actively working on the network.

As per your suggestion i have run the above commands on my machine, but it doesn't resolve my issue. I am still getting disconnected from the Wireless. Though there is a continuous traffic from my machine in LAN and Internet.

Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Abdul Azeem.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>When we see the event log for the user it shows client disassociation --> Unspecified reason.

This means the client is choosing to disconnect, and we don't understand the reason why the client has done this.  This is why I have suggested disabling WiFI power saving.

If you go Wireless/Access Points/Timeline - does it show any issues (perhaps the client is trying to roam to another AP and that process is failing)?

PhilipDAth_0-1672861403404.png

Does Wireless Health show anything interesting?

Dear Philip,

Wireless client is stationed at his desk, he doesn't roam physically. But he has 3 AP's surrounding him AP19 that has been a stable client never disconnects, AP 17 and AP 16 usually the client is getting connected & disconnected mostly between AP 17 and AP 16.

It doesn't shows up much detail on the Timeline it doesn't even shows that the user is disconnected.

Best Regards,

Abdul Azeem.

Best Regards,

Abdul Azeem.

pjc
A model citizen

could it be the client 'roaming aggressiveness' setting ?  Try lowering this to medium or low, this will result in the client not searching as much for other ap's that are nearby once already connected.  Here's for example the intel card in my laptop settings

pjc_0-1672925416997.png

You can also try setting your ap's radio profile settings to auto power if they are not set this way already

Are there any clients attached and working to either AP16 or AP17?

Do the switch ports that AP16 and AP17 are in have the same configuration as AP19?

MikePrance
Comes here often

Hi Abdul 

I'm facing the same problem 

Please guide me which action resolved this issue 

MikePrance
Comes here often

can you please help on solution for this issue , we are experiencing same issue in my environment

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One thing I would look at is what band is the client device connected on i.e. 5Ghz or 2.4 and what is the surrounding area like with channel interference. Does the problem affect only a single user or multiple users.

Also check drivers are up to date.

If you're using 2.4Ghz and you can get away without I would disable it, the 5Ghz band has a much better spread of channels that are less likely the interfere. 

WickedWifiNerd
Conversationalist

Hello Abdul (and all),

If you are still experiencing these disconnects, please check your Radio Settings Profiles and ensure "Client Balancing" is disabled.  I have been seeing issues in both MR29.4 and MR29.5 and it appears to be a compatibility issue between clients with 802.11v-related roaming decisions (client based) and Radio Setting Client Balancing (infrastructure-based). 

What I have seen, across multiple customers, are clients being disconnected and reconnecting to the same AP and it looks like this in the roaming analytics page.  Each dot indicates a brief disconnect/reconnect and reconnect to same AP, these go away after disabling Client Balancing in Radio Profile.

WickedWifiNerd_0-1691175881316.png

WickedWifiNerd_1-1691178179725.png

I hear there is a fix for this coming in MR30.x but have not tested it yet.  

Hopefully this is helpful.  

Ben

This was also the fix for us. We had several clients complaining on our network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels