EAP-TLS Authentication failure over WiFi

HThiam
Here to help

EAP-TLS Authentication failure over WiFi

Hi All

I have been trying to deploy a wireless solution but been stuck with appears to be an authentication failure with the Radius Server ( ISE) . The set up consist of an Intune laptop attempting to connect  to a Meraki managed SSID .  I m using Meraki APs connected over a trunk to a Meraki switch that eventually traverses the Wan to the target radius server . All the required routing is in place to ensure the 802.1x messages can reach ISE , can also confirm  the device and CA root  certificates on the test device have been properly configured and that the correct policy is being hit on ISE.

EAP-TLS is being used as the  authentication method in this scenario 

However with every attempt to connect to the SSID  it s getting stuck on the following

2022-12-08 12_55_00-Snipping Tool.png

No firewall is processing the traffic and as mentioned the requests are getting into ISE .

Could this be related to authentication timeouts or MTU mismatch  over the Wan ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

Please find below the ISE logs for the failed authentication 

Steps

11001Received RADIUS Access-Request
 11017RADIUS created a new session
 11117Generated a new session ID
 15049Evaluating Policy Group
 15008Evaluating Service Selection Policy
 15048Queried PIP - Network Access.UserName
 15048Queried PIP - Radius.Called-Station-ID
 11507Extracted EAP-Response/Identity
 12500Prepared EAP-Request proposing EAP-TLS with challenge
 11006Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge
 11018RADIUS is re-using an existing session
 12502Extracted EAP-Response containing EAP-TLS challenge-response and accepting EAP-TLS as negotiated
 12800Extracted first TLS record; TLS handshake started
 12545Client requested EAP-TLS session ticket
 12805Extracted TLS ClientHello message
 12806Prepared TLS ServerHello message
 12807Prepared TLS Certificate message
 12808Prepared TLS ServerKeyExchange message
 12809Prepared TLS CertificateRequest message
 12810Prepared TLS ServerDone message
 12505Prepared EAP-Request with another EAP-TLS challenge
 12504Extracted EAP-Response containing EAP-TLS challenge-response
 11001Received RADIUS Access-Request (

Step latency=2588 ms)
 12935Supplicant stopped responding to ISE during EAP-TLS certificate exchange (

Step latency=120000 ms)
 61025Open secure connection with TLS peer
 5411Supplicant stopped responding to ISE

13 Replies 13
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

9/10 times this is a MTU issue, especially if you see the constant challenge & requests. Take a packet capture upstream of the AP and see what packet size you see on the RADIUS requests. 

HThiam
Here to help

Thanks for the reply , I will execute a packet capture on the  switch .

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My bet - an issue on the Windows side.  Anything appearing in the event viewer in Windows?

In the Windows WiFi configuration - has the root CA been ticked under the trusted section?  It is the right hand most option in this screen shot.

nps029-1536x753.png

Thanks for the reply . That one is being ticked , all the devices are being configured through Intune . The ones used OnPrem are working fine , it s just the ones that need to traverse the Wan for ISE authentication .

pjc
A model citizen

I'm calling MTU on this problem too.

I had a similar issue where a couple of our WAN sites would not receive the accept response, and would appear as a Radius timeout error in the dashboard logs, but the request was being received by the radius server. 

We use SDWan where the WAN traffic is encrypted, add this to using EAP/TLS client certificate authentication, and the packets were too big for the MTU packet size at these sites, hence were being fragmented.

You can try pinging the sites (using the -f and -l and mtu size (1180 in this example) switches e.g 

ping 10.8.6.1 -f -l 1180

and check if the packet size needs to be lower at your affected sites before fragmentation (change the value (1180) up and down until you get a reply that is not fragmented), compared to your working sites

You made be able to change the MTU on your routers/switches etc at the remote site, or change the MTU size in the ISE radius config for these sites (radius connection/auth policies)

You could also try sending the requests via the Meraki cloud radius and then into your on-prem radius (put the affected AP's into a different network and change the radius destination to the Meraki cloud radius), these requests will then go out/back in unencrypted (lower packet size), which may prove if it is MTU related or not.

You can also try setting up a different authentication method, say MSCHAP, and try authenticating with client username/password only (no EAP/TLS certs), if this works then it's also most likely MTU/defragmentation

good luck

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can add "IP MTU 1500" on the radius source SVI. This will cause the radius packets to be fragmented at the IP layer. This will resolve the issue.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
HThiam
Here to help

Thanks to both . Looks likely to be MTU related .I will try and let you know how it went 

HThiam
Here to help

Hi All . 

Sorry for the delayed answer . I have lowered  the MTU onto the switch the APs are connected to but that hasn't made  a difference .However, I just noticed that   that the APs Radius requests are experiencing some packet drops as they hit our Onprem firewall ( yes there s a firewall indeed ), 2022-12-19 11_25_34-drop (3).pcap.png  any idea why ?  

The packet capture in attachment has been obtained from the firewall.

Thanks in advance for all you input 

Thanks

peto
Getting noticed

same problem here. my setup is MX67W (17.10.2) -> MR33. Both of them are configured with 802.1x SSID. Clients use EAP-TLS. Everything works on MR33 but doesn't work on MX67W (it worked before). EAP-PEAP works on both of them. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you downgrade the MX to version 16.16.8.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

yes, I was thinking about it as well, but since it is not available anymore, I will have to ask the support to do that.

Tony-JIa
Conversationalist

Hello,

You can try to enable "RADIUS Proxy" on the SSID, i think that might be helpful to solve the issue you are facing.

HThiam
Here to help

Hi All

Just to let you know  the matter is now solved . Our on Prem Firewall had a Zone protection profile  with a setting instructing  the firewall to drop fragmented traffic .

Once  that setting was updated it worked .

Thanks all for your contributions

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels