AP connection problem

SOLVED
Puyi
Here to help

AP connection problem

Why do I have so many errors about "Client entered wrong password."?

My computer was connected automatically and I made sure my password was correct.

Password.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Meraki-PM-Team
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello everyone,

• This incorrect failure message does not affect the functionality of the AP and client devices connecting to that AP
  • Meraki has been made aware of this issue, which is being actively worked on and should be fixed in the future versions of R27.x firmware. Please be on the lookout in the changelog notes for this update.
  • Due to the nature of this fix Meraki will not back-port the changes to R26.x firmware version.

Meraki PM Team

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looks like the dashboard is reporting multiple clients failing to associate due to incorrect password!

Confirm the password is correct on the SSID or set a new password and try again. Maybe also “Forget” the SSID on the client and try re-associating
Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Since the client entered the correct password and set it to automatically connect to the network, I don't think it was the password of the password that caused the problem.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Puyi @that’s not what’s being reported in the dashboard.  I would never take what the end users saying as being correct until you can prove otherwise 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

I have the same problem on my network (raised here).

A little frustrating, I've had to reset the network settings on my iPhone to fix it short term.

Which firmware are you on?

AP:MR32,MR33
firmware:MR 25.11

😂😂

I also suspected at first that the user had entered the wrong password.But when I checked my backup device in the log, I made sure it wasn't a mistyped password

AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

We are on 26.7, so it looks like an issue across multiple firmware versions. 

Goodnight
Conversationalist

I think the best is to come out with a new SSID and set with a new password.

A lot of time is the autosave passwords that cause the problems. You will never know how many users are still using the old password.

Wayner
Getting noticed

I am having the same issue with users that have been connected for a long time then one day they need to delete the network and re enter the key. it happens on windows IOS and Android so i am assuming it is not the end device having the issue.

BTW this comment does not in any way solve the problem

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I am actually seeing the same. I've been wondering the same.

rbnielsen_0-1586279955579.png

I know for a fact that those two devices are configured with correct PSK. They are both iPhones, enrolled in Systems Manager, with the SSID pushed to them as a Policy.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

I'm facing the same issue.

Macbook and PC get this "wrong password" log whereas they can usually be associated and authenticated. It seems to happen the most of the time when roaming.

AP : MR55

Version : MR 26.7

Pulkit_Mittal
Getting noticed

I have seen this happening recently about last week, and it is with the latest firmware version I believe.

If Meraki is listening,

I too have this same issue ["client entered wrong password"] when associating with either radio [2.4 & 5] and often failing multiple times. I had originally thought it was related to client roaming between weaker APs or stationary between two similarly transmit powered APs. HOWEVER, I have one of these clients sitting in my office under only one AP and the log still reports the same error from time to time and I'm not even using it! No power saving and no interference of any kind.

Any client settings to change or set would be helpful. Any AP settings to change or set would be helpful.

UPDATE: I turned off the 5 GHz radios on the involved APs. This fixed the problem: no more failed passwords or difficult associations. 

Same issue with my access points also. iOS and MacOS affected. Running MR26.7.

DanielGHoffman
Comes here often

I observe the same issue with iOS clients only. Have not seen it with the Mac devices. On the iOS devices I selected "Forget Network" and added the network again, entering THE CORRECT PASSWORD, and the devices joined the wireless network. Errors resumed within one hour.

Errors occur on only one SSID out of three and only on one of the APs where that SSID is enabled.

alican
Here to help

I've been experiencing the same problem as well. I made 100% sure that the password is correct.

Wifi is incredibly unreliable due to this 😞

AP: MR33
Firmware: MR 26.7
PawelG
Building a reputation

I think we have another thread about the same issue.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Lots-of-wireless-authentication-failures/m-p/79779#M122...

In my case those are not PSK but 802.1x Meraki Auth errors, but behavior is the same.

It seems that its connected with roaming between APs.

I've tried to open case about that but they wanted live packet captures, which was difficult as I can't say what are the exact conditions for it to happen. 

But there is certainly an unresolved bug in several firmwares.

Br, Pawel.

ERAHRO
Conversationalist

I have also "Client entered wrong password" in more than 30 networks we have. not only iOS but also android and Windows 10 computers also having the same issue. We know for sure that the password is 100% correct. 

I opened a case with Meraki support and they asked me to capture a live packet via wireshark and sent it to Meraki support. Still waiting for the reply. 

ERAHRO_0-1588946960132.png

PawelG
Building a reputation

As I wrote in the other thread about this problem - try disabling 802.11r. In my case it solved the problem completely . Of course it affects roaming performance - but in my case it's better as those auth errors caused delays in roaming.

Br, Pawel.

ERAHRO
Conversationalist

The 802.11r has been never enabled in our network and also 802.11r is only for iOS while this problem happens in all types of clients.

PawelG
Building a reputation

To be clear, Adaptive 802.11r is only for iOS devices, pure 802.11r is not restricted, but there is not much devices supporting it. 

In my case problem was only with iOS devices and disabling 802.11r solved it.

Seems not to be that simple as I thought.

Br, Pawel. 

Same here. 802.11r is disabled and I have one single AP in my network (so there is no roaming or anything)

All types of clients experience this issue.

AP: MR33
Firmware: MR 26.7

PawelG
Building a reputation

Unfortunately I must agree with you both.

I have those errors again. Disabling 802.1r just reduced them significantly, but they are still there. It is 802.11x not PSK in my case, which might be also a contributing factor.

Br, Pawel. 

ERAHRO
Conversationalist

It is not just the errors on the dashboard but the clients having regular disconnections while roaming. We have mostly problem in our warehouse where clients moving around. 

PawelG
Building a reputation

I've just looked at dashboard of another big network (I was not looking at it since I've encountered errors in my network) consisting of MR52's and using WPA2-PSK for its main SSID. 

802.11r disabled and there is a LOT of authentication errors ("bad password"). So You are absolutely right 802.11r does not improve anything when using PSK. 

Called them and they say they have problems with their devices saying frequently there is bad password or they just disconnect when roaming. 

TAC still not seeing this problem.

Br, Pawel. 

Wayner
Getting noticed

I originally thought it was user error but I see it on so many devices and even my own devices just stop working and seeing bad password for themn in the log. I am not sure how a saved password in many devices start sending the wrong password.

not sure why TAC is so reluctant to look deeper into this issue

jmastera
Conversationalist

I realize it has been a couple of weeks since the last reply, but I am not finidng much else out there in terms of a possible resolution.

I have an MX64, a MS220, and a MR33. Obviously as most people have pointed out through any number of threads this is an issue at the MR33 side of the house.

In my case, all end devices, at one point or another, has had the Client entered wrong password.
type='WPA-PSK auth fail' associated='false' radio='1' vap='1' error.

I cannot find any single reason why after 6 weeks shy of 3 years every single device would start erroring. I have 47 days on my license and at this point I do not think I will be renewing. Sad as I have been a Meraki customer since prior to the Cisco purchase.

Other than changing from WPA 2 to WPA 1 and 2, turning off meshing, allowing rogue, etc. has anyone managed to find a solution?

PawelG
Building a reputation

Had a long discussion and debug session with TAC about this without any clear output.

They state that those are not auth errors but interpretation of events by Wireless health - which are not related to authentication. 

I'm not convinced as sometimes my devices really pop-up a window saying that password is incorrect and requiring to type it again.

Br, Pawel.

jmastera
Conversationalist

I have watched in real time, on a Win10 device, pings drop, then while still connected to the wireless network Windows will state that the connection has no internet. So while the statement from Cisco may be true in that the auth doesn't actually drop from the device to the WAP, something is truly amiss.

I'm having the same error and ping drops on Windows 10 clients. I just updated to 27.1 and observing to see if it still happens.

Configuration:

MS120 > MR33 ----- MR33 > MS120 > MX65

RobertG1
Conversationalist

We are having the same issue and I'm seeing it with multiple customers, including our own APs. We have made Cisco recommended changes but it's only reduced the problem and not fixed it. It's obviously some kind of bug in the firmware that was introduced in more recent firmware revisions. Very disappointing. 

cate48
Conversationalist

On my test kit have today reverted from firmware 26.6.1 to previous 25.14 and the problem (repeated occurrences of "Client entered wrong password") has gone away.

So, dear Cisco, whatever is up with your firmware? And when can we expect a resolution? Because staying on old firmware, or living with this problem is not the answer 🙂

alican
Here to help

The problem still exists with MR 26.8 firmware.

I was running MR33 with MR 26.7 and upgraded to 26.8 hoping that it will fix the problem but no. It still exists.

Support is not helpful. I don't know what to do.

RobertG1
Conversationalist

Spoke with Cisco support on Friday. There is a bug that in the v26 firmware that is being worked. We had Cisco revert our APs back to firmware 25.14, which is the latest 25x firmware. That has fixed the problem. You will need to contact support to have them revert back and then peg each AP to that version until Cisco has a fix.

cate48
Conversationalist

Thanks Robert that is a nice clear message.

Wasn't firmware version 25.14 deactivated?

My firmware version is 25.11

😂

I have issues with 25.13 on MR42 and MR74.

I'm considering trying 26.8.

I asked support to downgrade my MR33 access points to 25.14. They work reliably now! No more authentication issue.

Thanks to @RobertG1 

PawelG
Building a reputation

Very, very preliminary testing on 27.2 (released today): problem seems to be gone, but this is still much to small testing period to say something definite.

Br, Pawel. 

PawelG
Building a reputation

Wrong 🙂 

It's still there in 27.2, just some time must have passed 🙂

I guess that Merki engineers are more busy with changing dashboard's rainbow logo for the 4th time that solving real bugs in their product...

br, Pawel. 

Wayner
Getting noticed

Well that sucks I almost got excited

AE
Conversationalist

Same probleme here! My APs are on MR 26.6.1. Could not solve the problem until now. It is certainly not due to a wrong password.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Just trying to recap here.

The initial issue were clients connecting to the SSID were authenticating with incorrect PSK, even though PSK configuration has been verified mulitiple times.
The issues is seen across MR27.x and MR26.x, but not in MR25.x.
Also disabling 802.11r seems to fix it as well, also on MR27.x and MR26.x.

I was also seeing "Client entered wrong PSK" in the logs, but I'm not seeing it on MR27.2. I'm using WPA2/WPA3 Transition mode, with 802.11w enabled.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

I am having the exact same issue on 26.6.1

Also having this issue.. we have over 100 MR33 APs, running 26.6.1 Firmware

Surely there is a solution to this issue??

Still facing this issue with MR55 / v26.6.

And now discovering it in MR74 / v26.6 environment.

For the moment, the only observed workaround is a downgrade to v25.14 ?

@AJafri Meraki support is refusing to acknowledge the problem. I tried to reach them many times but they are keep asking for wire shark logs and not doing anything else.

yes, I think downgrading to 25.14 is our best option. Zero issues since I have done that

Wayner
Getting noticed

@alicanit is frustrating. I have yet been able to capture the problem on wire shark I am starting to believe it is on the wireless side that you would not see on wire shark. has anyone tried running a airmagnet WiFi analyzer to scan to see if they can pick it up on the wireless side?

PawelG
Building a reputation

I've stopped talking with support about that issue as they clearly are not going to help. 

They are still denying problem being known and always ask for wireshark packet captures - which show nothing - as they are difficult to capture as problem is random. 

They probably know the problem, but it is difficult to solve - so better not to confirm it exists 😉

Or maybe we all have something wrong with our networks.... 

Br, Pawel. 

Same problem with 2.68. Any one tried if it works better with 2.72? 

I have tried with MR 27.2 and still getting the issue.

802.11r isn´t activated and still the issue

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe it is down to power saving.  It appears that the current 26.x and 27.x firmwares don't like Intel 802.11ac chipset power saving at all and you get high latency, disconnects, bad password etc.  It does seem to affect some other devices but I have personally only seen it on all 802.11ac Intel chipsets.  802.11ax is okay and I don't have anything older.

Banfield75
Getting noticed

For me it´s mainly iOS devices. I hope everyone flood Meraki with cases regarding the annoying issue. 

benfrank3
Conversationalist

Following. Same issue. Same lame response from TAC. Hoping to receive info about a fix posted here!

Just adding that I have a similar problem since upgrading from 25.13 to 26.81

Wireless Health shows a 99.6% failure rate on one of my SSIDs for Authentication yet we haven't had a single call about Wi-Fi issues. This is a graph from the last hour.

andersh_0-1599034136728.png

baling
Comes here often

I have also with this kind of issue and open a TAC case, but only advised me to do PCAP using MAC ios or linux which in our side is hard to provide. In our previous engagement with PCAP, they also don't have any recommendation after we have given then the PCAP results. Meraki support is 1/5.

Meraki-PM-Team
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello everyone,

• This incorrect failure message does not affect the functionality of the AP and client devices connecting to that AP
  • Meraki has been made aware of this issue, which is being actively worked on and should be fixed in the future versions of R27.x firmware. Please be on the lookout in the changelog notes for this update.
  • Due to the nature of this fix Meraki will not back-port the changes to R26.x firmware version.

Meraki PM Team

Does not affect functionality? 

I disagree with the assessment that it does not affect functionality.

Here is my scenario..... I connect to the network using the correct password and have selected "Auto Connect".  I open a web browser and go to a website. The website loads. Everything working. Nice...I can get some work done.... Oh wait... Wifi connection just dropped, and I am no longer online. I try to connect to Wifi network again, and it will not let me connect... says Bad Password.... try again, nope. Bad password.  Keep trying... finally it connects and im online. Get back to work, and then boom, dropped wifi again. Logs all show Bad password as the culprit, even though the password was typed in correctly.

How is that "not affecting functionality" ? By the way, that even happened on a brand new computer as well as established devices that had been on the network for some time.

I would like this to be properly investigated by the meraki Support Engineers. We took our entire Campus of 350,000 Square feet (and over 100 Meraki AP) away from Ruckus to Meraki because of how well the system seemed to work and the level of support we were getting.... not instilling confidence at the moment.

PawelG
Building a reputation

Running 27.3 for 2 days. No single authentication failure message. In my case it was 802.1x not PSK.

Br, Pawel.

Anyone more who can confirm 27.3 have solved the issue?

I really hope so.

I would like to upgrade all of my AP's

PawelG
Building a reputation

It's not.

It's even listed as know issue with 27.3. It says only about PSK authentications but I'm still seeing the problem with 802.1x Meraki Auth SSIDs.

Still do not agree with "known issue" description - that those are false positives.

Br, Pawel

Wayner
Getting noticed

@PawelGthey are defiantly not false positives. at least it is something they are starting to look at though. A few months ago they would not even admit ti was a issue at all.

PawelG
Building a reputation

27.4 is out, the problem (with PSK) is still listed as known issue. 

Already applied on 2 networks with PSK auth and 802.1x auth - seeing "wrong password" or "client failed radius authentication" on both networks.

So no changes here.

Br Pawel.

Doser
Comes here often

It's a pity that soo many have this problem.

We upgrade recently from Unifi wifi (never had this problem) to Meraki using MX-100 / MS-210 / MR-33, 42 and 45.

and have connection drops with ping, Zoom and Teams. Other application we don't notice it.

Our devices that encounter network problems with Dell Latitude laptops, sometimes Apple laptops and iPhone's.

Reading this forum looks to me like the first real lead to the solution of this problem.

Same here... We changed from Unifi to Meraki. We never had problems like this with Unifi. It´s crazy if you look in to how much you pay for Meraki products and licenses. Next time it´s license change we will be able to buy brand new Unifi products for the same cost as Meraki license extension.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you having actual issues as we have 100+ APs at 8 sites.  I visited 5 this week running either 26.8.1 or 27.4 and didn't have any issues when roaming round the buildings.  We have about 20-50 wireless devices at each site at all times and many more when they are open. iPads, iPhones, PDQs, Android phones, Windows laptops, Macbooks, Kiosks etc.

PawelG
Building a reputation

The problems are not always clearly visible on devices (especially apple IOS devices).

Im my case - the most frequent scenario is that iOS device tries to roam to closer AP, the authentication problem occurs - but iOS device does not pop any error message - it simply stays connected to old AP - which results in lower signal and speed. After some time it tries to roam again - in most cases successfully.

So - the problem is visible only if authentication error occurs on first connection or after wifi in iOS device was disabled and then enabled. 

br, pawel. 

Doser
Comes here often

I wonder how it is possible that this case is solved when the same problem still occurs?

taugust04
Comes here often

We are in a similar situation - we just upgraded Residence Halls, and have started to see this issue pop-up as student start to trickle in the campus.

So far it's occurred on a Dell ChromeBook, and an iPhone.  Authentication with the correct password (we're not using Radius yet, just WPA2-PSK for now) all IP information is correct, and then no traffic.  Move them over to the test un-encrypted SSID, with all the exact same settings, same IP information, and it works fine, no issues.

We did revert back to 25.14 to see if that resolved the issue, but we need to follow up with the students to see if they're reconnecting to the WPA2-PSK encrypted SSID correctly before making any determinations.

HI

When will the official version of R27 be updated?

I am on firmware version MR 28.7.1 on the MR46 and still having the issue.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels