AP Placement Orientation

SOLVED
american_nisei
Getting noticed

AP Placement Orientation

mv-was-here.png

Have a client with a few locations, each with over 15K sq ft and with 20' tall ceilings.  I've been installing the MR-18s and MR-32s on walls, about 12' up from the floor, using the included wall plate.

Should I have been installing face down from the ceiling joists?  Would that give me better coverage vs wall mounted?

What are your thoughts on this?

Doug

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The coverage pattern is almost a 360 degree ball.  There is slightly less signal directly behind the AP.  The coverage pattern for the MR18 is here:

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR18.pdf

I wouldn't worry about it.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The coverage pattern is almost a 360 degree ball.  There is slightly less signal directly behind the AP.  The coverage pattern for the MR18 is here:

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR18.pdf

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks! I've seen the coverage patterns for the MR18s and 32s, so thought this would be the case, but wanted to see what others have experienced. Also in doing some RF surveys, depending on the materials making up the wall, the backside RF seems very weak compared to the front side. So didn't know if I would get more RF bank for the buck mounting the APs differently.
NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

i have had better success in fire stations with a ceiling mount vs wall mount. i have devices ti support out in the bay and usually mount the device inside the building over their office area to provide coverage there for laptops. Mounting on the wall never gave me the coverage i needed

ChadWorthman
Conversationalist

I FOUND THE GNOME!

Nice, @ChadWorthman!! You were first! (And you were SO close, @Sam_Clements!)

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

*sigh*

@Sam_Clements wrote:

*sigh*

@Sam_Clements - I predict he won't stay still for long.... stay tuned! (tomorrow :-))

You know it! 🙂

@Sam_Clements

Don't you already have some Sam !  RAWR

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Not one of the shiny new ones! 😞

I found a gnome is that an egg?

@Richard_W wrote:

I found a gnome is that an egg?

Gnomes are not eggs 🙂

Sam_Clements
Here to help

@CarolineS I FOUND THE GNOME!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels