why are devices still pulling the default 192.168.128.0 network addresses?

SOLVED
js7
Here to help

why are devices still pulling the default 192.168.128.0 network addresses?

look at at snapshots, i assigned a nighthawk wifi router, with dhcp turned on the nighthawk to handle all the wifi... but before I can even figure out why that isn't working... another problem is I am still pulling 192.168.128.0 network addresses?? instead of the vlans I've created....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Feel free to PM the serial number of the MX and I'll take a look at it

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

How are clients connected to this MX? Directly on a LAN port, downstream via switch or AP? You've done a DHCP renew or reboot of the client being tested? If you've changed the VLANs on the MX and saved the config it shouldn't be handing out 192.168.128.0 IP's anymore.

js7
Here to help

The wireless clients are connected via the netgear wifi router, and that is setup in AP mode, with an netgear having an ip address of 10.10.11.2

No switch, only a MX and a netgear wifi router. I've saved the configuration, but even when I did a release and renew on my windows laptop connected directly to the mx... it was still pulling the 192.168 address...

so wireless clients should be pulling a 10.10.11.3 - .254 address... I think 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Is the netgear getting that 10.10.11.2 via DHCP or did you set it as a static? 

And the MX shouldn't need a reboot, but have you tried rebooting it? Btw, what model MX and what firmware is it running?

I set net gear as static, and the firmware version is 15.44

ill try rebooting, thank you

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you provide a basic drawing of how everything is plugged in, do you have multiple leads running between the wifi router and MX. From the info you have provided I can't determine how you have everything connected. 

js7
Here to help

multiple leads? none, if I am understanding your question correctly.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

what happens if you connect a host directly to port 4? does it receive a DHCP IP?

does the NVR on port 3/VLAN 100 work ok?

js7
Here to help

The good news is I am starting to see devices that pull the 10.10.x.x network but the problem is the wifi hosts should be pulling a 10.10.11.x address. So for some reason or another it is pulling ip addresses from the 10.10.9.x network for the wifi clients... perhaps I've got to add some static routes ?

js7
Here to help

While sitting with a 10.10.9.2 ip address... I can ping the 10.10.11.1 and get a response, but can't get a response for the 10.10.11.2, however I can access the 10.10.11.2 by getting a login page, and just to confirm although the netgear is in AP mode, the DHCP server is turned off on the netgear, as I thought it might be better performance to let the firewall handle the DHCP instead of the netgear ap?

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Not sure what AP mode on a Netgear means. You want it to just bridge the traffic. Is the AP doing some NAT function for clients that connect to it?

No NAT on the netgear device. It looks pretty straightforward you just put the netgear into AP mode, and it asks if you want to assign and ip address or get one dynamically. I assigned it one specifically, and then turned off for it to serve DHCP addresses. The netgear in AP mode also lets you configure the wifi settings, SSID, password, etc. But for some reason or another, it is working but instead of pulling a 10.10.11.x ip address on a laptop or cell phone with wifi, it pulls a 10.10.9.x address which that is supposed to be for only hardwired addresses...

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Feel free to PM the serial number of the MX and I'll take a look at it

Thanks the problem was I had mapped my port to the wrong vlan.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels