single mode fiber - no link

SOLVED
nflnetwork29
Here to help

single mode fiber - no link

hello i am trying connect 1 single mode fiber to the Meraki port 25 using 1GB SFP transceiver single mode. LC connector . I cannot get any link light on the Meraki switch. We have tested the line to patch panel and all seems ok . is there any trick on meraki side to get this going ? there is a lack of any commands to assist with any transceiver troubleshooting that i am aware of?  Switch is MS120-24P 

Transceiver is Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-LX10 Compatible 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP 1310nm 10km DOM Duplex LC MMF/SMF Transceiver Module

https://www.fs.com/products/39371.html

Patch cable is 1m (3ft) LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex OS2 Single Mode PVC (OFNR) 2.0mm Fiber Optic Patch Cable

https://www.fs.com/products/40191.html

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yeah I always enjoy fiddling those LC connectors out of their holder to switch em around 😉

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Slobs2
Getting noticed

Confirm the port is not disabled. Also see if on the port status (right below where you configure the port on the switch page) sees the transceiver. 

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I assume so, but probably worth checking:   when you say one fiber, you really mean one pair of fibres (send and receive)?   Given you have structured fiber cabling, I'd also check that you have them patched properly: send to receive (try reversing the connnectors at one end).

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Verify that the fibers in the pair are the correct way around. Try crossing them on one of the cables and see if the link comes up.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@nflnetwork29 : Most of the time the issue is with the connecting TX/RX on both side. Check it is connected correctly on both end.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yeah I always enjoy fiddling those LC connectors out of their holder to switch em around 😉

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I saw most of the time issue related to that... 🙂 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

this did the trick. much appreciated everyone who provided feedback!

Hey guys, I'm having the same issue here. Inverted the polarity of the fiber and it linked for a few seconds, was able to see the switch in Meraki dashboard but then it suddenly dropped off. Have tried other ports and swapping it around again to no avail, unable to get it to link up again. 

We've run a cable test on the fiber link and it's OK but no matter what SFP port or transceiver we use it won't link. I have tested the same SFP ports using RJ45 transceivers and they work fine. 

Any ideas? I did notice some RSTP events in the event log in between the time the link first came up and before it dropped off. 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You'll have to check if BPDU guard for example was on that port and disabled it.

How can I verify if that was the case? The SFP+ port on the primary switch still shows as enabled:

agionet_0-1694930494249.png

I've also tried multiple SFP ports on the secondary switch to no avail. 
The primary switch is set as bridge priority 4096 in switch settings. All other switches would have default bridge priority. 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And what is the switch and SFP on the other side of the fiber link?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels