newly purchased meraki stack cables not working

BenedictJob
Here to help

newly purchased meraki stack cables not working

We just purchased 

20unit of Meraki 40GbE QSFP Cable 0.5Meter,
6unit Meraki 40GbE QSFP Cable of 1Meter,

from Meraki.

When we put these cables into the MS switches, the status light did not even come on.
We are running the latest stable firmware from Meraki on the MS's. (MS210-24P-HW & MS210-48LP-HW )

When we replace the kits with the cables purchased with the switches some years back, it lit up straight away and works.

How can I get this resolved...

21 REPLIES 21
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

That’s odd.  Are you certain you got legitimate Meraki cables? Do you know the SKU’s ordered? I think they should be like, MA-CBL-40G-50CM

Is it possible someone forgot to take off the protective caps at the ends of the cables?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Below are the serial numbers for the Kits.

SERIAL NUMBERS FOR STACK KIT JPC242904MG JPC242901GY JPC24290495 JPC24290451 JPC242903S4 JPC242904M1 JPC2429048P JPC242904MP JPC24290594 JPC242905X0 JPC2429051Z JPC24290104 JPC242903EK JPC2429047A JPC242903SQ JPC242903KB JPC242904HP JPC242903GH JPC242904BQ JPC242906V2 JPC235003FQ JPC235003DK JPC235003H4 JPC235003H2 JPC235003JP JPC235003EP

I am sure the caps were taken off...

I meant the SKU or part number.  I have no idea about the serial numbers, but was wondering how confident you are that you purchased genuine Cisco Meraki parts.  

You could try testing them with light. Plug in one end and hold a piece of paper up near the opposite end of the cable and you should see red light on one strand.  Please be careful to not look directly into the cable with your naked eye.  A dark room can help too.  If you see light with one of your old cables and not with a new one I would say it is bad or was damaged somehow.

Thanks.

That reminds me, we earlier bought some compatible (Non Meraki) Stack Kits 

11 Units 40GbE QSFP Cable 0.5Meter,
2 Units 40GbE QSFP Cable of 1Meter,

and we still had the same issues.

It was then we decided to go for the Original Meraki Kits and still having the same issues.

We fear that another purchase of Kits might end in the same result.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BenedictJob You should log a support ticket for these, the support team will easily be able to check how the cables report to the switches and what fault is occurring.  We installed a similar set a year or so ago without issues and I would certainly not expect that behaviour.

Below is the image from my source. That is where my confidence came from...

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-18 at 14.28.04.jpeg

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What have support said, that order looks pretty genuine...

Meraki Support:

Dear Benedict,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Meraki's technical support.

The serial numbers you provided for the stack kit don't seem to be Meraki devices. Can you confirm the serial numbers of the Meraki switches you connect your SFP ports too? 

Also if you could provide the link to your Meraki dashboard switch network I have a quick look.

Kind regards.

--
Mahad Gaal
Network Support Engineer
.?l?.?l?. Cisco Meraki

Response from my suppliers:

Hi Benedict

The cable sure 100% original and should work.

It has to be down to your clients set up and what they are trying to do, it’s the only explanation.

Please give the engineer the Meraki dashboard ID so the engineer can check the client set up. The engineer will be able to see that the cables are genuine, from the Meraki dashboard.

Kind regards,

I have shared the last image with Meraki and all snapshots of the kits and I am still expecting their feedback...

Interesting about the serial numbers but I think not a likely concern. I am a Cisco partner and put one of your serials in their serial number lookup tool. It came back empty, but I attribute that to Meraki not being 100% absorbed with traditional Cisco tools yet. 

That looks legit. Were you able to do a light test and compare a working cable with a bad one?

Will carry out the light test tomorrow.

I have briefed my team about it and we look to do this tomorrow.

Thanks

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BenedictJob how do you light test a twinax cable?

@BrandonS has advised the following steps.

You could try testing them with light. Plugin one end and hold a piece of paper up near the opposite end of the cable and you should see the red light on one strand.  Please be careful to not look directly into the cable with your naked eye.  A dark room can help too.  If you see light with one of your old cables and not with a new one I would say it is bad or was damaged somehow.

Br

Oh wait, those are copper stack cables?  I thought they were fiber. Sorry if I led you astray. 

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

For reference: https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

Thanks, and I appreciate all your support and advice.

I have gone through the Link and we got the right set of Stack Cables.

Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are trying to use these in the stacking ports in the back of the switches, and trying to stack the switches, aren't you?

The MS210 is an all Gigabit switch with Gigabit uplinks.  So you won't be able to plug a 40Gbe cable into its main SFP ports.

As has already been asked, what is the actual Meraki part number you ordered?

Thanks.

below are the part numbers and description

MA-CBL-40G-50CM

Meraki 40GbE QSFP Cable, 0.5 Meter

MA-CBL-40G-1M

Meraki 40GbE QSFP Cable, 1 Meter

Regards

That is the correct part number.

Are you following the physical stacking guide?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Physical_Switch_Stack_Configuration_Steps 

Do you have just Meraki MS210s in your stack, or do you have some other model Meraki switches?

We have just MS210s ((MS210-24P-HW & MS210-48LP-HW )

and yes we have followed the physical stacking guide.

is there a link to verify Meraki Products..would like to verify the authenticity of the product.

Thought it was supplied by meraki.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BenedictJob again, ask support.  They often reply to an email case within the hour.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels