Why MS225-24P Amber Port Light and Throughput Limitation?

FredS
New here

Why MS225-24P Amber Port Light and Throughput Limitation?

Good day,

My customer has an MS225-24P whose key port displays an amber port light. Documentation states this means a 1gbs port is transmitting at megabit speeds. I see no clear throttle controls in the dashboard, and I am not an engineer. Can somebody point me in the right direction to bring this and other ports up to 1gb throughput?

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In fact, there could be several causes, such as a problem with the network cable or the device on the other end does not support 1Gb.

Try changing the network cable.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Good afternoon Alemabrahao, we've certified the connectivity, end-end, and it checks out. This customer has 2 smartboards, one works fine in another office on a different port. The other is on the end of this key port and it refuses to connect to the wireline provided internet. The port light and limited throughput unique to its port tells me the issue resides with the switch. What might I try next?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried connecting to another port on the switch?

If it works, it is probably the current port that is defective, otherwise try changing the cable as already stated.

In the worst case scenario, open a support case.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

We will. Thank you. We had tried other devices such as a laptop and it didn't have issues locating the internet. But the port speed limit remained. We will work through your suggestion and call support if needed.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How about link negotiation?

alemabrahao_0-1709745598731.png

That was going to be my suggestion is link negotiation, it should be set to auto by default @FredS however you could try manually changing it bear in mind you have to do this at both ends. 

If this resolves the issue it could be driver related. 

Hi @FredS

While you are troubleshooting, it may be worth taking a known working 1Gbps port and swapping the downstream connection to see if the issue follows the downstream device/cable. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels