Whose mac address are there in switch?

SOLVED
Merakibgp
Getting noticed

Whose mac address are there in switch?

Hi Please see the below picture, which is from switch summary. I would like to know whose mac is there? Is it PC's mac or ip phone mac? If PC and ip phone are all connected to the same port, can we see the two mac address there? thank you!

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Merakibgp 

Yes you can know which MAC Address belongs to who. As you can see below PC-ME is the computer attached and the Polycom is the VoIP phone.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.47.28 PM.png

If for whatever reason the devices appear the same and you can't determine by the device name. The CDP information will be the device directly connected to the port. So you can click on the "raw" and verify the mac address and IP address to make sure it's the VoIP phone. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.59.18 PM.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

It says there Port 1. If you go to the actual port you should see a CDP/LLDP of what's connected to that switchport. If something is connected to the phone you should see both connections.

Capture.PNG 

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You will see all mac addresses being forwarded through the port. 

Thank you for your reply. If PC and ip phone are connected to the same port, i would see the two mac address based on what you said. From there, can i know which mac is from PC or IP phone? 

@Merakibgp 

Yes you can know which MAC Address belongs to who. As you can see below PC-ME is the computer attached and the Polycom is the VoIP phone.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.47.28 PM.png

If for whatever reason the devices appear the same and you can't determine by the device name. The CDP information will be the device directly connected to the port. So you can click on the "raw" and verify the mac address and IP address to make sure it's the VoIP phone. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 2.59.18 PM.png

>From there, can i know which mac is from PC or IP phone? 

If they are in different VLANs then enabled the VLAN column in the dashboard in the clients view.

thank you very much

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels