Weird connectivity issue /w switch & SFP+ from other vendors

jsathaseevan
Just browsing

Weird connectivity issue /w switch & SFP+ from other vendors

I have an MS225-48 and an MS225-48FP stacked. They are working great.

They have replaced 3 x Netgear S3300-28X switches that we used in our main closet. These three switches have now been moved to 3 new buildings. Everything works great over copper and 1GB.

We had a vendor come in and run us some fiber so we could make use of the 10GB connections on both sets of switches. 

For the building I'm occupying, I've used 2 x Tripp-Lite N286-10G-SR-S 10GB SFP+ on both my end, and the Meraki end in the main building. Works GREAT. Meraki dashboard tells me everything is A-OK and connected at 10GB Full duplex. Netgear switch tells me the same.

The next building, same configuration, will not give me a connection (except over copper). Same part numbers. I've had the vendor come back and test the lines (I can see light as well), and I've even removed the very SFP+ modules connecting my building to try and connect the new building. Nothing. I've switched out the patch cables, also using the ones from the working configuration. 

I'm at a loss for words. Meraki support has informed me that as the SFP+ modules aren't their nor are the switches on the other end, they can troubleshoot no further.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Re: Weird connectivity issue /w switch & SFP+ from other vendors

Swap 1 switch from stack to other building 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

Are you getting no link light?

Number #1 issue - you need to swap the send/receive fibres over.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

What length is the fibre run? What fibre is it, single-mode (OS1, OS2), or multi-mode (OM3, OM4)?

jsathaseevan
Just browsing

Thanks for that. Simplest thing I haven't tried yet. I swapped the switch...the working switch from my building went into the new building.

STILL NO JOY! I'm thinking there is simply an issue with the cabling and I will have to find another vendor to come out and check the issue

jsathaseevan
Just browsing

Thank you for your reply.

No link light.

Indeed I switched the send/receive fibers around. I ensured there was light passing through the entire drop and patch cables...and that the lights did not collide.

jsathaseevan
Just browsing

Thank you for your reply.

The fiber run is OM3, multimode, <100m. I have a copper run that is currently allowing the building to have Internet access. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

Another thing you could try is to move the switch to right next to the core (temporarily) and connect them using a fibre patch lead.  If that works, you know it is not the kit or SFP's.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Did the installer provide you a test report showing the loss across each of the fibre cores from end to end? It sounds like a fibre problem, but as Philip said move the switch and test with a patch lead, that will pretty much confirm if it’s the fibre run or the kit.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels