Changing the Management Vlan on an MS switch.

SOLVED
commsrbrad
Comes here often

Changing the Management Vlan on an MS switch.

We are about to introduce Meraki MS switches in our  Cisco Catalyst network.. The Vlan that has Internet access is 25,

so if I make the Management Vlan 25, will that also change the native Vlan to 25 on all trunk links? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Negative.

The native VLAN is configured per trunk port.  It could be different for every port (but no one would do this).

The management VLAN for the switch is a switch wide setting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Negative.

The native VLAN is configured per trunk port.  It could be different for every port (but no one would do this).

The management VLAN for the switch is a switch wide setting.

Hi Philip,

I was thinking how to do it, at the moment there is a native Vlan mismatch between the Catalyst and the MS, thats why I was hoping if you changed the management Vlan, that would also change the native Vlan.

Anyway it looks like a way round this would be to have a second link between the catalyst and the MS, with the native vlan set to 25 at both ends, then change the management vlan to 25, it should then start communicating to the Meraki cloud through this second link and we can disconnect the original link.

What do you think?

I have seen the mismatch error stick around for a bit even when things are correct. Make sure it's just not a lag in updating the dashboard.

Are you doing DHCP or static on the switch for the mgmt vlan IP?

think of the mgmt int/IP on the meraki switch like just a client/host IP that needs to talk to dashboard. as long as the vlan is allowed on the uplink port(s) and not blocked by any upstream firewalls it should reach dashboard.

the native vlan/allowed vlans/port mode all need to follow standard switch config principles. meaning if the uplink is a trunk (most likely) it needs to be a trunk on the other end. and the native and allowed vlans should match.

again, in the world of meraki switches the mgmt vlan is a little different from what folks are used to with traditional switches.

Then throw the new alt mgmt interface option to cause even more confusion....but I'm loving the alt mgmt IP option!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels