Warm Spare and physical stacking on MS350

JeanD
Here to help

Warm Spare and physical stacking on MS350

Hello,

is physical stacking supported simultaneously with warm spare (vrrp) on MS350? not quite clear in the documentation

Two pairs of MS350 physically stacked, interconnected via Etherchannel, each stack running Warm spare

thanks in advance

Jean

3 Replies 3
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Physical stacking basically just makes the device one big switch (active/active).  Warm spare would be more of a backup (non active) device if I'm not mistaken.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is my recollection - and could be wrong.

@Adam as it right.  Physically stacking makes the switches look like one large switch - and it disables the warm spare option.

When you have the switches non-stacked and you have them running in layer 3 mode, you can make one a warm spare for the other.  This enables VRRP.  The warm spare does not participate in dynamic routing unless their is a failover.

Right, warm spare is basically for L3 gateway redundancy and can only be configured for pairs of non-stacked switches, basically two standalone L3 switches.  Unless something's changed in a more recent firmware and I missed an update, so it might be worth confirming this with a quick support ticket.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels