Using RackStuds

Adrian4
A model citizen

Using RackStuds

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using these for mounting Meraki kit? I'm specifically thinking of MS250's.

Rackstuds - DUO50 1RU Series II Rack Mount Solution - Effortless Cage Nut & Screw Alternative, Essen...

The rated weight limit is 20Kg so the 6kg of the switch should be ok in theory but I wasn't sure.

I really cringe at front mounting long stuff like switches as it is, thinking of all that weight levering down on a few screws so now I'm thinking about it on plastic studs 😕

Doesn't plastic get weaker over time? These might in place for over 10 years where we will use them and there wont be anyone around to respond quickly if there's an issue.

7 Replies 7
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I personally wouldn’t touch those with a barge pole.  They look quite flimsy.

Are you not able to use the traditional metal cage nuts and screws? I’ve not had any issues with those for nearly 3 decades!

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

…..apart from the inherent cuts that come with using metal cage nuts!

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

because they are **** lol. Miserable to get the nuts in and out and when racking, trying to hold the device with one arm while holding a screw in place long enough to get the first few turns and then fumble around for a screwdriver and then realize the screw went in wonky so you have to undo it a bit but now its fallen out and gone and now your arm is getting quite tired and you find another screw in your pocket and try to put it in but the weight of the switch is making it hard to line the holes up but you finally manage to get the screw in place but its the wrong thread size for that particular nut so you have a little cry and put the device down while your arm rests for another attempt - assuming your lucky enough not to be doing this on a ladder cos then putting it down isn't really an option.

With the racknuts you can pop them in and out easily with one hand in a few seconds, the device just slides right on them and you screw the caps on. 

Quick, easy, no pain.

@Adrian4 I have a trick for you, this has worked great for me personally, aside from this tool I have never used but seen which I'll recommend to you as I am personally gonna try it...

When you mount a network switch, if you have something below the switch - take a long piece of foam; perhaps the foam that came in the box of your MS250, and cut it down to length. Put the foam in between the bottom of the switch and the next thing below it, and it will hold it up for you to free up your arm. 

Next, try this tool. It should help you with the pain of having to deal with cage nuts. I know, cage nuts are horrible, but I've seen some colleagues use this tool and its kept them from getting cuts and soars in their fingers. I am personally going to give it a try myself: Cage nut tool 

Good luck with the install!

Kaleb Mohr, CCNA. | Network Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaleb-mohr

I am not an employee of Cisco or Cisco Meraki.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you use the Meraki supplied bolts, they can be fully inserted easily by hand, I keep the spares and use them on other equipment as I find them so good 🙂

CoreyDavoll1
Getting noticed

This reminds me of the line from Christmas Vacation, " I don't know if I oughta go sailin' down no hill with nothin' between the ground and my brains but a piece of government plastic"

kmcgaugh
Here to help

Don't use the RackStuds. Despite it may hold the MS250's weight, for your best interests - you should use the mounting hardware that came with the switch. Plastic is fragile and can snap, shatter, or bend, and yes, plastic does weaken over time. Just stick to the cage nuts and mounting screws to avoid any issues with your install. Good luck.

Kaleb Mohr, CCNA. | Network Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaleb-mohr

I am not an employee of Cisco or Cisco Meraki.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels