Uplink port and root port in Meraki MS220

SOLVED
Merakibgp
Getting noticed

Uplink port and root port in Meraki MS220

Hi In Meraki switches, we can see the port highlighted with green color and up arrow inside the port. that means the port is uplink port. Do you think the uplink port in Meraki SW is the same concept as cisco switch? Usually in Cisco switch, uplink port means the port is connected with core or high level switch. and it is a physical connection concept. but in Meraki, i do not think so, how do you think about it? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That is correct. As Meraki implements RSTP (802.1w) there is only one instance of STP on the switch, and all VLANs will forward traffic based on that instance.

On a Cisco Catalyst the default is PVST+ where one STP instance is run on each VLAN, and you can set the priority of each instance. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Adam
Kind of a big deal

In Meraki I believe the uplink port basically means the port that traffic will traverse to get upstream/out to the internet. But I also label all of my important ports and try not to rely on the port graphic as my only indicator

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Merakibgp
Getting noticed

Thank you so much for your reply. It looks like the uplink port is created(or selected) automatically by the calculation of all other ports parameter. When one port senses that it is connected to higher level switch, it will be assigned as uplink port, do you think so? 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The uplink port is the port the switch is using to talk to the Meraki cloud. It has nothing to do with up- or down-link within your LAN.

I think you are right. And i think the uplink port has nothing to do with RSTP, do you think so? 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That is correct. The uplink port has nothing to so with anything STP whatsoever.

Thank you! One more question on the root, as layer 2 switch MS220, we cannot create vlan. Only thing we can do is to assign vlan number to some ports and assign STP priority to the switch, but in Cisco switch, STP is configured based on per vlan, if we cannot associate STP priority to specific vlan in Meraki switch, that means the STP priority would be assign to the whole switch, do you think so? 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That is correct. As Meraki implements RSTP (802.1w) there is only one instance of STP on the switch, and all VLANs will forward traffic based on that instance.

On a Cisco Catalyst the default is PVST+ where one STP instance is run on each VLAN, and you can set the priority of each instance. 

Thank you!

" The uplink port is the port the switch is using to talk to the Meraki cloud. It has nothing to do with up- or down-link within your LAN. "

In Meraki switch, the uplink port must be connected to the Meraki cloud through internet, but port connected to internet must not be uplink port, can i say like this? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels