Riser
Getting noticed

UPS for MS Switches

Hi All,
We are looking at purchasing the below MS switches;
8x MS425-16 
9x MS225-48LP
2x MS350-24X

Anyone who would recommend good UPS units for me?
Do the switches come with a single power supply, or are there redundant power supplies?
Currently, I am assuming we have a single power supply = 480W peak power consumption.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Riser , all switches will ship with a single power supply.  You can however buy a secondary power supply for the 425 (MA-PWR-250WAC). and 350-24x (MA-PWR-1025WAC).  The 225 would require an external RPS for power backup (PWR-RPS2300)

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Riser , all switches will ship with a single power supply.  You can however buy a secondary power supply for the 425 (MA-PWR-250WAC). and 350-24x (MA-PWR-1025WAC).  The 225 would require an external RPS for power backup (PWR-RPS2300)

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Riser
Getting noticed

Hi Ucert,
Thanks for your prompt response. Do you know if it's possible to combine 2 power supplies on the MS switches to ensure redundancy in case of an outage? I'm looking at having one power cable go directly to a switch from the main circuit and the second power cable go through a UPS.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Morning, where you can have dual power supplies ie the MS350 and 425 there’s no reason why you could t have one connected to a UPS and the other via a main circuit.

EJN
A model citizen

To add further to this, I don't know that I would connect an MS switch (or any other networking equipment) direct to an outlet without a UPS. In addition to power, they also provide line conditioning and surge protection. In a dual power supply switch, in an ideal environment, each one connects to a different UPS.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Riser as @DarrenOC mentioned you can connect one PSU to a UPS and the other directly too mains or to a different UPS. If possible as well as having redundant power supplies having redundant power if you can is a good fallback. 

@BlakeRichardson thank you for the update. I will consider this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels