Switch Configuration Template Migration

Solved
ToryDav
Building a reputation

Switch Configuration Template Migration

Hello,

I have a client that has just about 65 sites all bound to a single configuration template. They would like to migrate those sites out of the single template into groups matching up to their organizational units. This will generate around 7-10 templates that these site groups will bind to. They would like to automate this re-mapping of the sites. 

I would like to write a script to handle this, however I do have some concerns and questions:

1. If I unbind a site from it's configuration template, will I lose all device configuration, or will the configuration remain from the template?

2. If I unbind a specific switch from a switch profile, will the switch keep its configuration as well, or will it lose it configuration?

Are there any "gotchas" I should know about when it comes to configuration template migrations of this nature?

Thank you in advance,
Tory 

1 Accepted Solution
D_Tak
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

In regards to both of your questions, the switches or the network itself would revert back to whatever previous configuration was configured whether it be the default Meraki configuration or another config. There are no specific "gotchas" to be aware of but there will be downtime when moving the templates for the devices to pull the new configurations and if any subnets are to change if any static devices were programmed they would need to be reprogrammed under the new subnet.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
D_Tak
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

In regards to both of your questions, the switches or the network itself would revert back to whatever previous configuration was configured whether it be the default Meraki configuration or another config. There are no specific "gotchas" to be aware of but there will be downtime when moving the templates for the devices to pull the new configurations and if any subnets are to change if any static devices were programmed they would need to be reprogrammed under the new subnet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels