Stack Setup Issue

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Stack Setup Issue

So I have setup stacking on the two MS435-32 that I have, stacking ports are green and connected as recommended in the kBase article but I am having issues. The second unit is reporting it has no stack configuration. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 2.48.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 2.48.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 2.49.01 PM.png

7 REPLIES 7
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I've seen this a couple times in my own lab and it tended to clear up but took a little while, and I wasn't able to replicate it consistently, and might have tried different things in a different order.  Maybe hold off a bit before you start doing reboots or temporary re-cabling.  In my case, they actually were in a proper stack and functioning as such, and it seemed to be a cosmetic alert message in Dashboard, but didn't persist for very long.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@BlakeRichardsonWhat have you tried so I'm not repeating to you what you already did lol. Also keeping it simple did you re-configure the stack and just for giggles swapped the cables 1-2 move 2-1? Will it still go amber?

Enthusiast

@kYutobi I haven't re-configured the stack or swapped cables around, the only thing I have done it reboot the affected switch. I'll give it a few hours and report back tomorrow if its cleared up. 

@MerakiDave Thanks for the info, what models of switch have you seen this on, I wonder if its related to the type of stacking. 

Cool. Let us know in the AM. Take care.

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've often had to wait at least 30 minutes for this to resolve.   Very rarely I have had to factory a switch member then to get it to stack.

We tend to do the switches the day beforehand because of this. 

I agree with PhilipDAth,

it needs a long time. And rarely it needs a reset. If the reset doesn´t work it helped to remove the switch from the network and put it in again.

And to build in @MerakiDave reponse:

"In my case, they actually were in a proper stack and functioning as such, and it seemed to be a cosmetic alert message in Dashboard, but didn't persist for very long."

My experience has been the same.  The switches are actually correctly stacked (and working as a stack), and it is only the Dashboard not reporting it correctly.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels