SFPs and 2.5G options

SOLVED
Red-Five
Here to help

SFPs and 2.5G options

Noob question; client is wanting to replace old Adtran switches that currently have a SFP 2.5G link over OM1 fiber.  The runs are too long to support 10G and they don't want to replace the fiber.  How do I get a Meraki switch solution to support the same 2.5G link over fiber?  Specifically what SFP & config would allow that?  Thanks all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looking further I believe this is an Adtran specific feature, I can't find any other vendors equipment that supports it...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm sorry but the options are 1G, 10G, 40G, 100G.

I have never heard of 2.5 G SFP fiber.

You can have 2.5G and 5G copper links but not fiber.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Best to check with your Meraki rep to confirm 100% but I've only ever seen 2.5gbs on rj45 switchports. Fiber has always been 1/10/40/100gbps.

The ms355 documentation seen to support this as well.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/MS_Overview_and_Specifications/MS355_Overview_and_Specifications

Additionally there's no 2.5gbps SFP's supported.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/SFP_and_Stacking_Acce...

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Red-Five : The best option to check here with your options, Put your requirement and will tell which devices are compatible. I am also agree with @Brash 
Optics Compatibility Matrix (cisco.com)

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Red-Five I must admit that I'd never heard of 2.5Gbps fibre links, but it does look like they exist as per your comment, see the link for a transceiver here: https://www.optcore.net/product/2-5g-multi-mode-850nm-300m-sr-sfp-optical-transceiver-module/

In terms of what devices you can plug this into, I'm really not sure!  You could try an SFP+ port and see what happens...  Though I think it is for fibre channel or SDH.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looking further I believe this is an Adtran specific feature, I can't find any other vendors equipment that supports it...

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's definitely not ethernet.

burnz
Getting noticed

2.5G is it maybe gpon?

Red-Five
Here to help

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions - great community here.

Not 100% this was an Adtran only feature, but I do believe this was something vendors were doing years ago when fiber links were young; perhaps as a cost saving option.  Best I can see the industry has settled on the existing tiers of 1G, 10G, 40G, and 100G and I can't find any current vendors selling this.  So, for me, it's a question to the client regarding upgrading their physical fiber to support 10G and moving forward.  Since I have the 2.5 SFPs I might try them in my new switch, just to see what happens, but I'm not expecting them to function.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Usually SFP's adhere to standards like 1000BASE-SX or 10GBASE-LR or special types like BiDi, BX, ER, ZR which describes several requirements like wavelength, type of led/VCEL/laser used to transmit signals and more.  All SFP's of the vendors then comply with these standards so a switch from vendor A will successfully make a connection to another switch/router/server's SFP module.

Usually in ethernet standards you have ports running a single speed like 1 Gbps and only support SFP modules.  But you also have dual speed ports like 1/10Gbps SFP+ ports.  And even beyond 40/100Gbps ports.

If your customer has an old fiber plant you'll need to stick to 1 Gbps links but you could bundle 2 or 4 or 8 links to upgrade your inter switch bandwidth that way.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels