Rugged Switches

SOLVED
SilencerPG
Here to help

Rugged Switches

Hi Community, is there any plan or road map to bring in a rugged switch model?  Preferably an 8-port with a DIN rail and DC power!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SilencerPG I and some of my peers have been making this product request to the MS PM team.  They are aware of the need, for example in the transportation space for bus, train, utility and first responder vehicles, etc.  Just because there isn't a ruggedized MS model today, don't let that stop you from contacting your Cisco Meraki rep, make them aware of the project and opportunity, so they can tag it against our internal feature request.  Those are the things that provide valuable input to the PM teams and can help set priorities.  In the meantime, I would sell you an IE1K switch https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/industrial-ethernet-1000-series-switches/... 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Doubtful since the ruggadized versions usually don't require Internet (cisco switches that is), so they can sit on a train or something. Cloud managed makes rugged setup tricky IMO
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

100% agree Nolan, my usual solution set is to hang rugged devices off of a 4G router or other wireless connectivity.  I had a requirement last year that involved MVs connected wirelessly to a rugged 4G router but were then powered by a rugged PoE switch.  I would have loved to keep all of the equipment within a single vendor - makes management that much easier.

@SilencerPG I and some of my peers have been making this product request to the MS PM team.  They are aware of the need, for example in the transportation space for bus, train, utility and first responder vehicles, etc.  Just because there isn't a ruggedized MS model today, don't let that stop you from contacting your Cisco Meraki rep, make them aware of the project and opportunity, so they can tag it against our internal feature request.  Those are the things that provide valuable input to the PM teams and can help set priorities.  In the meantime, I would sell you an IE1K switch https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/industrial-ethernet-1000-series-switches/... 

There are a lot of uses for a ruggedized switch in the data center.  We place them in outside containers that house gen's, UPS, MV gear where it sometimes isn't conditioned.  Also rooftops and substation yards.  Sometimes it's a space issue as well.  We end up using the Cisco IE's but then lose all the visibility in the Meraki dashboard.

I have been looking for an outdoor switch.

Does Cisco offer a weatherproof box or cabinet for this product?

Since I originally asked for this, the MG line has come out - the use case for my post is long gone however you now could connect a MG21E to a MV72 to provide connectivity to the Internet.

DC power for both devices and let the lecky sort out conduit/outdoor boxes for the LAN cable and power.

The problem then becomes one of security - there are ways to solve that though!

If ruggedized is tricky, then there should be a MS355-8FP/MS355-16FP (fanless) first! 🙂

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@KarstenI I'd give you mode Kudos if I could, it is high time that a better 8 port switch came along and a 355 would get an A* from me 😎

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels