Replacing Cisco C3750 with MS250

LionGate
Here to help

Replacing Cisco C3750 with MS250

I am replacing a Cisco C3750 core switch with an MS250. The problem is that I have other C3750 switches (my main stack) on the network. I seem to be having problems with intervlan routing and I suspect the issue is that my switches are running RIP. I have an MX100 firewall. How can I get my MS250 to interface with the other C3750 switches properly if it doesn't support RIP?

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Replace RIP with OSPF or static routes. 

@jdsilva wrote:

Replace RIP with OSPF or static routes. 

If I do this on just the core switch will it then interface with switches downstream that are running RIP?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Nope. You have to change those too. 

@jdsilva wrote:

Nope. You have to change those too. 

Can I run both RIP and OSPF on my existing C3750 switches simultaneously? What's the simplest path? I have two stacks of C3750s and three standalones aside from the one I am replacing. I also have a number of C2950 and C2960 switches but I'm guessing these will not be affected?

Should I just create static routes on the C3750s?

How would this affect another C3750 at another site connected via MPLS? It only serves one VLAN but needs to contact our servers.

LionGate
Here to help

@LionGate wrote:

I am replacing a Cisco C3750 core switch with an MS250. The problem is that I have other C3750 switches (my main stack) on the network. I seem to be having problems with intervlan routing and I suspect the issue is that my switches are running RIP. I have an MX100 firewall. How can I get my MS250 to interface with the other C3750 switches properly if it doesn't support RIP?

So, I've just checked my other switches and the only switch running RIP is the one I am replacing. That makes me think the RIP isn't the problem. 

Update:
So, after some time with Meraki Support (those folks truly are wonderful) I got to the root of the problem, which was that Dynamic ARP was on. Since I was moving devices and interfaces around, testing and confirming that things were working as expected, the ARP table had listings that became incorrect. Flushing the ARP cache and turning off Dynamic ARP fixed many of my issues. RIP wasn't the problem.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels