egassmann
Conversationalist

Remove member from stack and create a new stack

SITUATION:

We currently have the following 3 switch stack in place:

• MS350-48LP
  • MS350-48LP
  • MS350-24P

Now we bought an additional MS350-24P and would like to remove the existing MS350-24P from the above mentioned stack and create a new, second stack with both of the MS350-24P (the old and the new one). The old stack will remain in the data center, the new one will be moved and will be used as an access switch stack on the users' floor. Both stacks will be connected through two SFP+ modules.

Now here's my question: What is the supported way of removing a member from a stack and then reuse that switch in a completely new stack? Can I just go to "Manage Members" and remove that switch? Is there anything else I need to do, before creating a new stack?

Thank you for your input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @egassmann,

Stacking is one of the things that can go horribly wrong, especially when replacing members. 

I would (very!) strongly advise to follow our documentation here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Replacing_and_Cloning_Stack_Members

I have seen many situations already where the instructions have not been followed, the stack gets messed up and you end up having to rebuild it from scratch. 

If you follow the steps in the guide you should be good to go 🙂 

Let us know how you get on! 

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Never tried that.  Yes, I would remove it in the dashboard first.  Wait for the config to deploy.  And then change the stacking cables so it was not part of the stack.

I would allow for some downtime.  I wouldn't be surprised if the stack rebooted.  It would be a good time to schedule in any software upgrades that might be waiting as well ...

For the removed stack member - I would factory default it, just in case.

I have just tried this, and it works exactly that way. 

1. Remove the member from the stack on the dashboard. Wait a few seconds. The dashboard will display a message saying that a new switch is detected and it can be added to the stack.

2. Then change the stacking cables

3. The removed switch doesn't need a factory default reset. It can be managed normally on the dashboard 

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @egassmann,

Stacking is one of the things that can go horribly wrong, especially when replacing members. 

I would (very!) strongly advise to follow our documentation here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Replacing_and_Cloning_Stack_Members

I have seen many situations already where the instructions have not been followed, the stack gets messed up and you end up having to rebuild it from scratch. 

If you follow the steps in the guide you should be good to go 🙂 

Let us know how you get on! 

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels