Redundant Power Supplies

SOLVED
kredmore
Getting noticed

Redundant Power Supplies

Sorry for the basic question, but can't find within Meraki documentation.

For a Meraki switch that supplies multiple power supplies (I have MS250-24P), when I install two power supplies, do I plug both into a power source, or just one?  I think both, and they share power, then if one fails, full load goes to the other one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @kredmore

I would say generally with most hardware that support redundant power supplies, the idea is to have both powered so that if one does happen to fail...the other takes over full duty. To me, the ideal situation would be to have both PSUs plugged into separate power sources (being a wall socket or UPS) on different circuits (in case of circuit failure) with each circuit being on a different phase (main failure). Anyone else have an ideal setup?  

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @kredmore

I would say generally with most hardware that support redundant power supplies, the idea is to have both powered so that if one does happen to fail...the other takes over full duty. To me, the ideal situation would be to have both PSUs plugged into separate power sources (being a wall socket or UPS) on different circuits (in case of circuit failure) with each circuit being on a different phase (main failure). Anyone else have an ideal setup?  

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels