Recommended QOS settings

Solved
JustinGA
Getting noticed

Recommended QOS settings

Hey everyone,

I'd to like to get some QOS setup on my network.. currently we are running a mix of Catalyst 2960s and MS250s.

I know we have QOS set on the 2960s for Voice (CUCM) but currently I dont have any on the Meraki side.

I would like to get that setup, and maybe some QOS for my camera VLAN as well...

If anyone had recommendations on what settings to use / apply, that would be great!

1 Accepted Solution
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First main difference is that Meraki switches only have bandwidth queue's so no priority queue available.

That means if you really want to give absolute priority to your voice traffic you will have to add only DSCP EF to the highest queue you are using and add no other DSCP values to that queue.

The upside is that lower queues can borrow from higher queues if those higher queues are not using all bandwidth so the voice queue will for the largest part not be used and will give alot to the lower queues.

So all the QoS settings are found on the Switch -> Switch Settings page.

The rules you add there are matching rules, so you can match on source VLAN and on TCP and UDP ports and choose to apply a DSCP tag or just trust the incoming tag.  So if your voice application has it's own VLAN you could just match on that VLAN and set trust imcoming DSCP.

Then you have the green link on top that says DSCP to CoS map.  In Meraki they used CoS to refer to queues, not to the layer 2 PCP field CoS value.  What you can do on that page is map a DSCP tag to a queue between 0 and 5.

Queues 6 and 7 cannot be configured since they are reserved for L3 and L2 protocols.

Each queue has double the bandwidth reservation than the previous.

I hope this will help you on your way 😉

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First main difference is that Meraki switches only have bandwidth queue's so no priority queue available.

That means if you really want to give absolute priority to your voice traffic you will have to add only DSCP EF to the highest queue you are using and add no other DSCP values to that queue.

The upside is that lower queues can borrow from higher queues if those higher queues are not using all bandwidth so the voice queue will for the largest part not be used and will give alot to the lower queues.

So all the QoS settings are found on the Switch -> Switch Settings page.

The rules you add there are matching rules, so you can match on source VLAN and on TCP and UDP ports and choose to apply a DSCP tag or just trust the incoming tag.  So if your voice application has it's own VLAN you could just match on that VLAN and set trust imcoming DSCP.

Then you have the green link on top that says DSCP to CoS map.  In Meraki they used CoS to refer to queues, not to the layer 2 PCP field CoS value.  What you can do on that page is map a DSCP tag to a queue between 0 and 5.

Queues 6 and 7 cannot be configured since they are reserved for L3 and L2 protocols.

Each queue has double the bandwidth reservation than the previous.

I hope this will help you on your way 😉

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

QOS settings on Meraki are very simple compared to other Cisco products. Not saying thats a bad or good thing but don't be surprised if you get to the QOS configuration and you see far fewer options than you might be use to. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels