Recommended Firmware for MS250-48LP

SOLVED
Ichimoku
Conversationalist

Recommended Firmware for MS250-48LP

Hi Team,

I just want to ask what is your recommended firmware for this model of switches? Just saw an e-mail from a colleague that the Meraki Support Team recommends a 10.X code which is in beta.

Regards,
Ichimoku

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MS 9.32 is the latest stable and 9.34 is the current stable release candidate, while MS 10.9 is still the latest beta version.  For more details on the GA/RC/Beta designations, check here https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Meraki_Firmware_Release_P...

Generally speaking, if you need to implement specific new features or migrate away from a known issue or bug, consider going to 10.9 firmware.  If you want to stay on 9.x firmware I'd go with 9.34 (current SRC, upcoming GA).  Although 10.x is beta, it's already fairly mature and has a lot of field exposure and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10.x version become a Stable RC sometime soon.  I have plenty of customers running 10.x.  Also remember you have the ability to roll forward to beta and roll back to stable without needing a support case on the Organization > Firmware Upgrades page.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MS 9.32 is the latest stable and 9.34 is the current stable release candidate, while MS 10.9 is still the latest beta version.  For more details on the GA/RC/Beta designations, check here https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Meraki_Firmware_Release_P...

Generally speaking, if you need to implement specific new features or migrate away from a known issue or bug, consider going to 10.9 firmware.  If you want to stay on 9.x firmware I'd go with 9.34 (current SRC, upcoming GA).  Although 10.x is beta, it's already fairly mature and has a lot of field exposure and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10.x version become a Stable RC sometime soon.  I have plenty of customers running 10.x.  Also remember you have the ability to roll forward to beta and roll back to stable without needing a support case on the Organization > Firmware Upgrades page.

I like 10.9 

10.x has Loop-Guard for the uplinks.

Switch stacking issues are gone now with 10.x 

It´s running well on a network with 23 switches MS220 and MS225, stacked and non-stacked, layer2 and spanning-tree, aggregated ports and connected to Cisco 3850 distribution switches and Cisco Catalyst 6800 Cores.  

Not one of the features I like (Loop Guard).  I have had it cause more outages when a spanning tree root appears in an unexpected place - because it shuts down ports - that are more severe than the issue issue trying to be protected (the spanning tree root).

Outage or everything working (or even degraded) but not as expected ... I'll take the second option.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels