Port not forwarding traffic due to access policy

tim_k
Comes here often

Port not forwarding traffic due to access policy

Hello everyone,  hope you’re all doing well.

I am receiving the "Port not forwarding traffic due to access policy" alert from time to time on my Meraki Switch (MS130-48P, is updated to latest stable Firmware).

So, I have configured a port on Switch for our Print Server and it is working properly, but from time to time it is giving me the mentioned alert. When receiving the alert I'm not seeing any impact on the Printer.

Port is configured as Access Port with Access Policy enabled to allow a specific MAC (Printer's MAC address, se screenshot).

tim_k_0-1728378884250.png

Tried with Meraki Support but no luck, also did a research but found nothing helpful.
Has anyone encountered a similar problem or what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you look at the client list for the time covering the alert and limit it to just the particular port on that switch, do you see any MAC addresses other than the one you know for the printer?

aml
Here to help

Yes, I've seen something similar - the switch reports that it's not forwarding traffic, but if you send a job to the device it does get printed, and you get a reply if you ping the device by IP address (although the first couple of packets are lost before you get a response).

I swapped both printers and switch ports and the behaviour follows the specific device, but I did notice that it only happens when Xerox MFP devices are connected (HP/Canon devices are ok)

I suspect that it's the copier going into Sleep/power saving mode and the switch stops forwarding traffic because it's not receiving the expected response from the printer.

I tweaked the option to enter power saving mode after 1 hour (from memory I think the default was 15 minutes) but it's still happening, and I gave up researching after I couldn't find anything to confirm the above on Meraki/Xerox/google, etc

Snip from this morning:

Screenshot 2024-10-11 082350.png

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could the printer's LAN port be going into sleep mode?
Some devices that use WoL change their behavior when the LAN port goes into sleep mode.  Perhaps the switch is not liking it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels