Can not add switch to network

Solved
KarstenA
Here to help

Can not add switch to network

Hi

I'm able to claimed the switch(MS390-48UX2) but when i tries to add the switch to network i get following message  ***This switch is limited to 1000 vlans, Please check your vlan related configurations on all ports, and static and management vlans on the switch and network. Note vlan 1 is always open***

We do not have 1000 vlans in that network. We have 5 vlans to the connected AP's which is connected to Cisco Classic 2960s

1 Accepted Solution

S390 switches can support a total count of 1000 VLANs per stand-alone switch or switch stack. VLAN ID 1-1000 are configured by default.

It supports VLAN IDs > 1000 but only support 1000 VLANS, VLAN ID 1-1000 are configured by default, and when mangement vlan is >1000 there are 1001 VLANS. We got it confirmed på Meraki Support and its a known problem.

We found a workaround.

Set managment vlan on the switch to 1 and Switch > Configurere > Switch Settings > Management VLAN 1 before you move it.

Thanks for yourtime

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Have you configured any VLAN IDs > 1000 in that Network?    e.g.   VLAN ID = 1024, not VLAN qty = 1,024

Yes VLAN 15xx and then i removed the switch from the network and now i can not add it back in to the network.

There are no other switch in that network.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you able to add an existing Meraki switch of any kind to the network (assuming it does not have one already), and then change the number of that VLAN?

I only have MS390 available for this network and I cannot add either the switches I have removed or new switches. I have the feeling that there is still a switch configuration, even though all switches have been removed. And the default switchport configuration is trunkt native vlan ie. 1000 vlans but management VLAN on the switches in I removed is 15xx, so it must be 1000 + 1.

I suspect this relates to the fact that, by default, MS390 does not support VLAN IDs > 1000   (as per:    https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Installation_Guides/MS390_Series_Installation_Guide#Assigning_an...   )

S390 switches can support a total count of 1000 VLANs per stand-alone switch or switch stack. VLAN ID 1-1000 are configured by default.

It supports VLAN IDs > 1000 but only support 1000 VLANS, VLAN ID 1-1000 are configured by default, and when mangement vlan is >1000 there are 1001 VLANS. We got it confirmed på Meraki Support and its a known problem.

We found a workaround.

Set managment vlan on the switch to 1 and Switch > Configurere > Switch Settings > Management VLAN 1 before you move it.

Thanks for yourtime

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels