Port Schedule POE

SOLVED
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Port Schedule POE

Do the port schedules just disable the port or do they also disable POE?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can 100% confirm that is what it does - because we do exactly that.  We power off our access points via port schedules when we are closed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They disable.  They will no longer forward packets.

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Correct @PhilipDAth the ports are disabled by the schedule you set in the port schedule.  @Adam I'm sure you probably saw that you can enable/disable the port itself and/or enable/disable the PoE separately, and wanted to know if the schedule could control the PoE without disabling the entire port. 

I'm curious, what use case do you have where you might want to disable the PoE on a port, but still leave that port active to pass data and not provide power?  If they're PoE ports, both PD and non-PD devices either will or will not negotiate, so it's automatic.  I'm curious if there's a case where you might have a PD plugged in, but force the PSE to NOT provide power.  

You always have Meraki's virtual stacking at your disposal which can make PoE management very easy.  For example, say I have a large school district with a district-wide wireless network across many schools with a thousand APs, all my switches and/or switch ports are properly tagged (like "HS" for high school on the switches, and "wifi" for switch ports with APs plugged in), and I want to reboot only the 100 access points just in the high school.  I'd simply go to switch > switch ports and type "switch:HS and tag:wifi" and it'll immediately pull up those 100 ports, and I can click edit and bounce the PoE on all 100 ports instantly.  Or say for example I've got an issue with a specific model of AP, but my AP switch ports are only tagged with "wifi" and the tags don't reflect the actual AP model, and I want to reboot every MR42 across the entire district, regardless of which school they're in.  A simple lldp:MR42 search would do that.  Anyway, I could go on and on all day about virtual stacking examples, really cool and powerful feature/tool. 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Actually the opposite.  I know it disables the port traffic but I wanted to make sure it also disabled POE for power savings.  My use case is that I want my APs to be fully powered off at a given site for a window during the night.  The port schedule didn't really clarify if it just disabled the port or also disabled the POE.  

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can 100% confirm that is what it does - because we do exactly that.  We power off our access points via port schedules when we are closed.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Yes exactly. The port is shut down complete. No traffic no power.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Confirmed through testing, thanks for the feedback everyone. 

rodrigocostar
Conversationalist

Hey, if you need to do that instead to power off the AP, and you dont have an Meraki Switch, you can schedule the ssid availability, going to "Wireless" --> "SSID Availability"   🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels