Pinging switches in a stack

Solved
Silas1066
Getting noticed

Pinging switches in a stack

I have a stack of 3 MS-350s, and I have a SVI (VLAN interface) configured for my client network. This is also the network that the switch stack routes through to get to my MX security appliance.

The logical address is set to 192.168.11.5 , and I can ping anyone from that address on the stack.

But the other two switches have .6 & .7 addresses that cannot be directly pinged from the client machines, and when I go into tools to ping "from" and interface, I only get the .5 SVI.

Is this by design? The only trouble I am running into is that a network monitoring server is on the network, and I'd like it to test if the second two switches are still online by pinging .6 and .7 

1 Accepted Solution
Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

Looks like this is by design.

We adressed this "issue" already in 2016.

"Problem" is that stacking the switches there is vrrp running between them in the background if i'm not mistaking.
The active switch is only replying to the active svi adres and not his own.
You could try to reboot the switch that isn't reachable and you'll see it will become reachable and another switch doesn't reply.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the network management in the same 192.168.11.x network?

Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

Looks like this is by design.

We adressed this "issue" already in 2016.

"Problem" is that stacking the switches there is vrrp running between them in the background if i'm not mistaking.
The active switch is only replying to the active svi adres and not his own.
You could try to reboot the switch that isn't reachable and you'll see it will become reachable and another switch doesn't reply.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels