Aggregate Ethernet Virtual Connections

SOLVED
viking
Here to help

Aggregate Ethernet Virtual Connections

I have two Ethernet Virtual Connection circuits, one each from two different providers. Each of these connect two of my offices together.  Individually, I can connect either circuit to a switch at each office and communicate as if the switches were connected directly with an ethernet cable.  My idea was to connect both circuits at once and aggregate the switchports on both sides.  However, LACP can't seem to form the LAG with the service provider equipment in between, so only one circuit gets used.  If the active circuit goes down, but the on prem equipment is still up, my switches don't start using the other circuit unless I force a port down since the physical connection is still up. If I split the group, STP fails to block one of the paths for seemingly the same reason and the loop goes unchecked.  Any ideas of how I can "tunnel" LACP and/or STP between sites?  Thanks for your time and attention.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The best solution here is to call your provider and ask them to enable this for you. They need to do an L2 protocol tunnel over your virtual Ethernet connections to allow things like LACP or CDP to pass properly. 

Other options are to put an L3 device on the circuits and to equal cost load balancing via a routing protocol over the two diverse paths. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The best solution here is to call your provider and ask them to enable this for you. They need to do an L2 protocol tunnel over your virtual Ethernet connections to allow things like LACP or CDP to pass properly. 

Other options are to put an L3 device on the circuits and to equal cost load balancing via a routing protocol over the two diverse paths. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels