Order of Switches - Switches / Switch Stack

SOLVED
Grant3779
Here to help

Order of Switches - Switches / Switch Stack

Hi,

New to Meraki. Cisco CLI guy 🙂

I have a 3 switch stack and when looking at the dashboard it is displayed as the attached. Is there a way I can amend the layout so it shows 201 at top, 202 in middle, 203 at bottom. This is how they are racked and stacking cables connected in relation to that also. My dashboard image shows 203, 201, 202 in that order but that isn't physically how they are. Is this just cosmetic? Doesn't seem to be a role such as stack master etc.. compared to Cisco stacking, or switch numbers. Not that I can see anyways.

I would just prefer for switch 201 to be listed first, especially when going into "configure switch ports" for the stack as currently the ports begin

203 /1

203 /2

203 /3

etc..Stack.PNG

Hopefully that makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I don't see any way to do that. Good question though.

I only have one stack myself (two switches) and it 'happened' to get them right. Unless its using the name of the switch as a way of determining the order (alphabetical etc.).

If you rename them to test it out, does the visualization order change/update to reflect the change in name?

Say instead of what you have, just call them 201, 202, 203 and see what happens. Since I'm not sure what you have in front of the numbers themselves.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I don't see any way to do that. Good question though.

I only have one stack myself (two switches) and it 'happened' to get them right. Unless its using the name of the switch as a way of determining the order (alphabetical etc.).

If you rename them to test it out, does the visualization order change/update to reflect the change in name?

Say instead of what you have, just call them 201, 202, 203 and see what happens. Since I'm not sure what you have in front of the numbers themselves.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Just had a thought and will check it out later. It may list the stack in that dashboard area in order of their IP address. Lowest IP first and so forth. I had to move a switch to this stack and that has a lower IP address which is why it may show at top. I usually keep them sequential if I can. Not sure if anyone is able to test this in a lab? I think this is it though

Looks like the order of the switches is determined by MAC address, and not a whole lot a person can do other than make sure they are in the desired physical order in the rack (paying attention to the MAC when racking).  Is this correct?  I'm trying to reorder in the switch dashboard, myself. 

Cmiller
Building a reputation

dumb question but is the pre 201-03 text the same ? As in the part you have marked out on the screeshot is it the same, example switch 201, switch 202 switch 203? I always start with the simple things then work harder

Hi C Miller, 

Yes Pretext exactly the same. I had just blanked those out to respect the company tbh, no other reason, but everything is the same apart from the numbers. The 203 has the lowest IP so i do think this is it. Not tested yet though. 

Cmiller
Building a reputation

didn't see your post until after I replied, sounds like you are on to something. Good luck sir 

Hi All,

Well.... I had a typo in my switch name, one single character which indeed made 203 first based on alphabet 🙈. Thanks for the replies. You were right 😎. I only noticed the typo.
Cmiller
Building a reputation

It happens to the best of us.... Glad you got it fixed!
MarioG1
Comes here often

Just assign the number 1 to the top switch  / 2 to the second switch and so on. This will re-order your Stack

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe when creating the stack the actual order in which you add switches to the stack is used to order the switches top/down.  Maybe try to disband the stack and recreate it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels