Needing a 10Gb switch, will Meraki behave with non-Meraki switches?

Solved
SimonReach
Getting noticed

Needing a 10Gb switch, will Meraki behave with non-Meraki switches?

Looking at upgrading our little Datacenter network and servers to 10Gb, currently have 2 Meraki switches in there that are happily running off of 1Gb but Meraki doesn't seem to do any 10Gb switches with anything close to enough 10Gb ports to meet our requirements, unless we look at the MS390 switches, we generally use the 1xx and 2xx series switches round the network.

We need at least 8x10Gb and the best option for us seems to be to add a non-Meraki switch, something like a Netgear XS708Ev2 and essentially have 2 networks with the servers prioritising the 10Gb link and then failing over to the 1Gb Meraki switches if the 10Gb link goes down but it's not ideal.

1 Accepted Solution
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS1xx and MS2xx doe not have 10 Gb ports but what you ask is higher end.

The MS355-24X has 8 ports 10 Gb.
The MS355-24X2 has 24 ports 10 Gb.

When you look at the Catalyst models:

The C9300L-24UXG-4X-M has 8 ports 10 Gb.

The C9300-24UX-M has 24 ports 10 Gb.
The C9300X-24HX-M has 24 ports 10 Gb.

I believe you didn't really look at any datasheets to form your conclusion.
Plenty of Native Meraki options to choose from.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, Meraki switches can work with non-Meraki switches. It's a switch like any other.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Arthamon
Here to help

You can look at the Catalyst 9300-M's if you need more than the standard MS models. They do allow management within the Meraki dashboard now.

After just getting back from CLUS and taking some sessions on those switches, things are only going to get better too. More mGig options with the Catalyst line.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS1xx and MS2xx doe not have 10 Gb ports but what you ask is higher end.

The MS355-24X has 8 ports 10 Gb.
The MS355-24X2 has 24 ports 10 Gb.

When you look at the Catalyst models:

The C9300L-24UXG-4X-M has 8 ports 10 Gb.

The C9300-24UX-M has 24 ports 10 Gb.
The C9300X-24HX-M has 24 ports 10 Gb.

I believe you didn't really look at any datasheets to form your conclusion.
Plenty of Native Meraki options to choose from.

Had looked at datasheets but was trying to stick with pure Meraki rather than going over to Cisco.  I know they can be imported into the Meraki dashboard but didn't have time to really look into how manageable something like a C9300L-24UXG-4X-M would be on the Meraki dashboard, it would be a great option if it's just as manageable as the Meraki switches we already have.

This is something i'll be looking into next week but thank you for the suggestions and the C9300L-24UXG-4X-M definitely looks like a very solid option for us.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels