Need some suggestions for a small reliable switch with SFP+ Ports for multi-gig traffic

Solved
GFrazier
Building a reputation

Need some suggestions for a small reliable switch with SFP+ Ports for multi-gig traffic

I have a client with a new location opening.  They negotiated with an ISP for service without IT involvement...  This ISP basically acts as a "hub", requiring the Customer to provide a switch, router, or firewall to go into ISP's data center, which then passes traffic to the customer's location.  

I cannot put both of our Firewalls there because the ISP only allows 1 fiber pair out - so no way to achieve redundant connection back to the location.  

Any suggestions for a small switch with SFP+ ports that will pass multi-gigabit traffic?

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From Meraki, the MS120-8 is a good option if you're just looking at 1G

For more than that, you'd be looking at an MS125-24.

Otherwise, you could look at a Cisco C3560CX-8XPD-S for a small mGig switch

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why not use an MX75 that has a single WAN SFP port? Installing a simple switch and not a firewall isn't a good idea unless you plan on installing a firewall further up the chain. 

If you really want a cheap switch go for a Meraki MS120-8 

Sorry, I should have included more detail:  We will be installing Redundant MX250 Firewalls at the Client location... The circuit will eventually be upgraded to at least 2-3Gbps, hence the MX250's to handle the bandwidth... 

This news was just sprung on us about how the ISP is setup - we were thinking it would be like the usual setup with the ISP modem on-premise... we cannot place the firewalls in their data center because they do not provide enough fiber pairs for redundant uplinks... So, we are stuck with adding a switch at their data center, and having it pass the traffic to the client location.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From Meraki, the MS120-8 is a good option if you're just looking at 1G

For more than that, you'd be looking at an MS125-24.

Otherwise, you could look at a Cisco C3560CX-8XPD-S for a small mGig switch

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The C3560CX-8XPD had been my first choice in the past. Now I would go with the CBS350-12NP-4X. With 4*SFP+ you can also connect the MX WAN-ports with DAC-cables instead of SFP+. And not using a Meraki Switch for the WAN switch removes the hassle with cloud-connectivity from the WAN-side to the internet.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

You can take a MS210-24. It has four 10Gig SFP ports.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@redsector the SFP ports on the MS210 are 1Gbps ports, you need either an MS125 or MS225 for SFP+ 10Gbps ports.

Dinger
Here to help

If only allowed a fiber pair, is BIDI optics not an option?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels