NTP server

SOLVED
Asher
Here to help

NTP server

Hello,

How can i make NTP server on my meraki switch MS420 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No Meraki device can function as an NTP server.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No Meraki device can function as an NTP server.

This no longer appears to be the case. I haven't configured anything special but when my phones request NTP from their default gateway, which is a Meraki MX, the MX responds as seen in the following capture.

MX-NTP-Server.png

Wow that is interesting!  I'll give that a try.

I'd open a case with Cisco Meraki to ask for a switch to disable it or to configure. You can't. It's in the DHCP Options. You have to overwrite it with your own DHCP NTP / Time Server Option.

We are establishing our own DHCP Server now, like we did with VPN and IPv6 Router...

Meraki was a mistake.

Found this thread after PRTG discovered a SNTP service on a MX. I've tried to configure a MX as a NTP-server on a Catalyst switch..... and it works !

MarcelTempelman_0-1681907548391.png

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@Asher

Whilst you can't set up an actual NTP server, there are a couple of DHCP options which may allow you to achieve what you need - 

Option 4 (Time Server)

This option is used to specify the time server available to the client. This is also related to the Time zone offset option.

Option 42 NTP servers

This option carries the NTP servers used on the network.

See - Setting Custom DHCP Options these work for both switches and security appliances.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

The problem with using DHCP is almost nothing uses the NTP options.  I've found some founds that do, but that is about it.

@PhilipDAth wrote:

The problem with using DHCP is almost nothing uses the NTP options.  I've found some founds that do, but that is about it.

So far I've only used the ones that do work. For example packet sizes.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Asher is there a real requirement for a local NTP server, can you not rely on an external NTP like time.google.com 

Otherwise does your router not include an NTP option?

@BlakeRichardson

now I have added NTP in the Voice router.

I was in need for NTP to install CUCM.

Thanks,

retracted

@BlakeRichardson I just ran across this --- and stared at this response/inquiry in amazement.   I'm really hoping this was just a joke question, otherwise .........

KeithR
Conversationalist

Technically you are not supposed to point to outside NTP servers as a matter of Security. It should stay within the Org.
https://www.nwtime.org/news/running-own-ntp-servers/

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels