Multiple internet paths for web app

Ilene
Here to help

Multiple internet paths for web app

I wanted to get my feelers out for a issue that I have. I have a web app that I want to route via the WAN through a different ISP gateway.  For example right now all traffic gets pipe thought a MS 420 with a single gateway to the internet. I want to take some traffic VLAN XX and routed to another 420 with a different internet path out. Keep in mind that VLAN XX. I am not sure that is possible but I like to see if I over looked a Meraki feature.

Thank you for the help

7 REPLIES 7
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I don't think this can be done with an MS. You'd need an MX with both Internet feeds connected to it to do what I think you're asking.

Thank you for the answer. I looked up some of those features but I have two questions:  1) The second WAN is only available as a warm spare. Correct? 

2) The web application is a custom application. 

That is why I thought that maybe the only way to capture traffic would be through the VLAN

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Both WAN ports can be load balanced simultaneously. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

You're correct about the Application recognition being predefined, but you can also specify traffic based on source/destination IP and/or Port. For Internet traffic you can simply specify source IP subnet, and WAN uplink to use.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think you are taking the wrong approach.

I would instead consider putting it Amazon AWS or Azure, and moving it off premise.

Life will be much simpler.

Ben
A model citizen

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I think you are taking the wrong approach.

I would instead consider putting it Amazon AWS, Google Cloud or Azure, and moving it off premise.

Life will be much simpler.

edit: keeping all options open! 😉

But i'm with @PhilipDAth on this one! 

Ilene
Here to help

The application is already on the cloud. The main issue and maybe I should have started with this. We have a inline webfilter that all traffic flows through. So my boss would like to allow this app to go unfiltered to the cloud. We have a second line to the internet that we could leave with out filter and let the app go through but to be honest I don't know if you can separate the traffic on the 420 and send it a different path. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your web filter almost certainly has an option to "whitelist" your host so nothing will get blocked.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels