Mitel 5320e IP-Phones reboots after installing MS-225

ZeeBoussaid
Getting noticed

Mitel 5320e IP-Phones reboots after installing MS-225

hello, I hope someone can assist with this. After we implemented the Meraki MS-225 in our production environment, some of the Mitel 5320e POE phones starts to reboots on their own and cause the user to have calls dropped. these phones are connected to the MS-225 directly and the user laptop uses the Phone PC connection LAN port for connectivity. so the phone is a sort of "bridge" to connect the user's machine to the network. I already checked with the Phone company and they noticed the phones try to register again as if they try connects for the 1st time, also these Phones are profiles correctly in ISE so authentication is not an issue. when the Phones reboots, the laptops remains connected to the network. i forgot to mention that all the phones in our company are on a separate Voice Vlan, so these phones are getting the IPs from the Atcom (Phone company) DHCP controller. i never had this issue with  my office phone but im using two separate lines to the MS, most people have only one to use for both phones and computer. any idea what might cause this issue?

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ZeeBoussaid have you set the voice VLAN on the switchports?

cmr_0-1614867718079.png

yes i did, on every port.

ZeeBoussaid_0-1614868229066.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ZeeBoussaid Do you route the traffic via an interface on the MS225, do you trunk it to another switch, or is the traffic taken out of an access port towards the servers?

the phones plug directly to the MS225s (access), but routing is handled on the upstream MS250s (distribution)

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

On your access policy is the Host Mode set to Multi-Domain - sounds like you are doing 802.1x on both the voice and data networks. It should be refusing the second auth attempt if it’s not in multi-domain mode, but I’m wondering if there is some weirdness occurring.

the Mitel IP-Phones should not authenticate even when they are connected to the same port as the machines, these phones are profiled in ISE to let them through internet, so i dont think it's authentication issue. also i have the exact same policy applied to each port in 14 stacks (4MS each), few phones are rebooting. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Anything in the switch event log?  Spanning tree issues?

Can you get a log from the phones to see the reason prior to their reboot?

Any chance something is causing an IP conflict?  Two devices trying to use the same IP address at the same time?

If you look at the switch status, and you within the switch PoE budget?

I looked at the switch logs, and targeted the ports these phones are connected to and im not seeing anything weird, every phone is getting it's IP from the Mitel Phone Controller on prem. what I'm suspecting is that the main phones controller UPS might be at fault, i directed the Mitel admin to replace the UPS and not have any other device plugged in except the Mitel controllers. so far i haven't heard anything yet. fingers crossed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels