Mirror 10G to 1G port on MS425 Stack

SOLVED
TD81
Conversationalist

Mirror 10G to 1G port on MS425 Stack

Hi, is it possible to mirror a 10G Port to a 1G Port on a MS425 Stack?

I couldn't find anything in the documentation about this. The 10G and 1G ports are on the same switch eventhough it is a stack.

We do not have 10G traffic on the 10G port so the mirror port wouldn't be overburdened. The upstream devices just only supports 10G.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TD81
Conversationalist

Hi,

TL;DR it works.

I have tested it with a Fortigate 100F and a Meraki MS425 now. I connected the Fortigate via x1 to Port 31 on the MS425 via 10G SFP+ modules. I mirrored the traffic to port 3 (1G copper sfp) on the MS425. I connected my laptop to port 3 and 5 (also 1G copper sfp) on the MS425 and started pinging the firewall via port 5. I opened up wireshark and captured the traffic from port3. I was able to see the icmp packets from port 5 to the firewall via port 31.

I did not test it with a stack though. It was just a single MS425.

Hope this helps someone.

@Merakiyou might want to add this information to the documentation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
cwf
Getting noticed

That's a good question.  I haven't found anything in the documentation that says that it won't work either. Makes me think it will work. If your setup is super critical I would call Meraki support and just ask them. Otherwise try it. The Dashboard will generally kick out a warning when you try to save a configuration that is not supported. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Never done it myself but I also expect it should work.

TD81
Conversationalist

Hi, thanks for your answers. I will do a test then.

cwf
Getting noticed

Let us know the results. Thanks
TD81
Conversationalist

Just wanted to let you guys know that I have not forgotten about this. I am just still waiting for the switches to arrive. I thought I could test with my test switch but unfortunately it's just a MS-210 and that one does not support 10G. Hopefully I get the new hardware on friday.

cwf
Getting noticed

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

TD81
Conversationalist

Hi,

TL;DR it works.

I have tested it with a Fortigate 100F and a Meraki MS425 now. I connected the Fortigate via x1 to Port 31 on the MS425 via 10G SFP+ modules. I mirrored the traffic to port 3 (1G copper sfp) on the MS425. I connected my laptop to port 3 and 5 (also 1G copper sfp) on the MS425 and started pinging the firewall via port 5. I opened up wireshark and captured the traffic from port3. I was able to see the icmp packets from port 5 to the firewall via port 31.

I did not test it with a stack though. It was just a single MS425.

Hope this helps someone.

@Merakiyou might want to add this information to the documentation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels