Meraki switch to Cisco IOS connectivity via FO to Ethernet converter

Meraki_Network
New here

Meraki switch to Cisco IOS connectivity via FO to Ethernet converter

Hi All,

I am trying to connect Meraki MS250-24 uplink to Cisco IOS Core switch.

Meraki switches are placed at different floors, and we dont have left Fiber ports on Core switch.

So can anyone confirm, whether Meraki switch support physical uplink to core switch via Fiber to ethernet converter. If yes, can you help me details of converter if any specific?

Connectivity is --

Meraki (Flr-A)(FO) Patch Panel (Flr-A)(FO) Patch panel(Flr-B) (FO) FO to Ethernet converter Core switch(RJ45).

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I don't see why it wouldn't work, if the FO converter adheres to the standards.

Make sure all wavelengths and speeds are compatible. I.e. use a multimode SFP in the Meraki switch in combination with a multimode FO converter if the fibers are multimode cabling. Or similarly single mode for everything. And 1G or 10G on both ends.

Also ideally make sure your patch cables are of the same type or better, not all fibers are created alike (Multimode options: OM1, OM2, OM3, OM4 - Single Mode options: OS1, OS2).

If you have problems don't expect Meraki support to be able to help much if there are issues though ;).

Hi There,

Thanks for your help.

I aware about the cabling standard and converter. Also placed for normal Cisco switches and routers environments.

Before implementing this with Meraki devices, I checked online in some discussion , which says, issue while working even if ports status looks normal.(green).

So, I thought to verify before implementations.

Are you talking about this topic:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/SFP-ports-on-MS120-48LP/m-p/11685?search-action-id=7956971...

If you are then you'll see that the opening poster was using single mode gear over multimode cabling which you shouldn't do (at least not without a mode conditioning patch cable).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels