Meraki Switch - Access or Trunk Port config?

SOLVED
Merockandroll
New here

Meraki Switch - Access or Trunk Port config?

Hello - I'm connecting 2 Meraki Switches together, but not using them in a typical way.

Main Switch 1 - Uplink to the firewall, and a Vlan that has access to the internet, also a single port connecting Switch 2.

Switch 2 - only needs Meraki management to the internet, but the rest of the ports are being reserved for a closed camera system that does not need any access to the internet or other vlan's.

I believe a single uplink/Access Port will do the trick - connect the second switch on a vlan dedicated for internet traffic (on the first switch).  The rest of the ports will be on a non routable vlan for the camera system.

Is this best practice - or is it better to create a trunk port?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Merockandroll  I would set ports that are used to connect switches as trunk ports and ports that are for a single device i.e. phone or camera as an access port. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Merockandroll  I would set ports that are used to connect switches as trunk ports and ports that are for a single device i.e. phone or camera as an access port. 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

To add to what Blake said, remember that you don’t create VLANs on the MS, they just accept all 802.1q tags (unless you specifically deny them), and you don’t have to create an interface for a VLAN. So for the ports connecting to the closed camera system you just assign them as access ports to the VLAN number - simple 😀

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels