MS450, list of supported transceivers?

SOLVED
-ray-
Here to help

MS450, list of supported transceivers?

Hi,

as per the datasheet, I only see the 40G and 100 interfaces. what about support of other transceivers, SFPs and SFP+ 

could anybody point me to that information If I could also use 10G or even a 1G Copper SFP with that switch?

thanks

ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The MS450 is equipped with QSFP+ and QSFP28 ports.   These are physically incompatible with 1G SFPs and 10G SFP+ modules (the holes are different shapes and sizes...)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

thanks, it answers my question but seems a bit odd to not support 1G or 10G.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, I guess this depends on how you're taking a look at the MS450. It's designed as aggregation switch that's able to handle connections from several high performace distribution switches. Are you going to have 1Gig there? Possibly not by today...

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The MS450 is equipped with QSFP+ and QSFP28 ports.   These are physically incompatible with 1G SFPs and 10G SFP+ modules (the holes are different shapes and sizes...)

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You might also find it more cost-effective (depending on the kind of port density of 1/10G you need) to aggregate those lower-capacity links first - maybe with an MS425, which supports both 1G and 10G SFP/SFP+ - uplinked to the MS450 using 40G..?

Apart from anything, using up a port on a 1.36 Tbps switch for a 1 Gbps link offends something deep inside my soul...   🙂

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've been hoping Meraki will support breakout cables like in Cisco Enterprise switches.  These are cables with a 40Gbe connector on one end, and 4 x 10Gbe SFP+ connectors on the other end.  A TwinAx example is QSFP-4SFP10G-CU.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_...

@-ray-  What are you using the switch for? This is a high end piece of kit, its a bit like asking for an 8 track in a brand new Ferrari. 

now we are talking as we start to explain things using cars and motorbikes 😉

With gpoing mobile I would like to use the Wifi-6 APs connect them with mGig to MS355 and aggregate them on a core/distribution switch.

that switch would also have WAN uplinks. Yes I know WAN will become the bottle neck. But the company does have bandwith intensive servers and also so dedicated links to connect them between sites.

Thats why i think having that flexibility would open the usecase for the MS450

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The MS355 and MS450 have been built for just that use-case;   with 40G uplinks between the two layers.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@-ray- which vendor are you using for the WAN devices, some of the ones we use now come with 40GbE interface cards so that might help?

thanks for the link, that is helpfull. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels