MS355-48X2 POE Enabled ports go offline

PS_Mike
Here to help

MS355-48X2 POE Enabled ports go offline

I have quite a few of these switches and we've had several of them, at different times and different firmware, stop passing traffic on any POE enabled port. This takes down some conferencing equipment along with any access points connected to the switches. When I view the switch in the dashboard, the POE enabled ports are all black with the POE symbol lit up. Has anyone seen this behavior before and know what is causing it? Anything we can do to prevent this? I have a case open with Meraki but since I had to reboot the switch to bring the APs up, I'm not sure how much help they will be since they probably can't get any logs from the switch. The only indication of a problem in the event log on the dashboard when this happened are the ports suddenly going offline.

5 Replies 5
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@cmr  - have you come across this issue at all?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC we haven't as yet, but we are running MS355-48X switches that may have a slightly different architecture as they have more mGig ports.  @PS_Mike we are running 14.32 on ours, simply due to not having upgraded to 14.33 yet.

PS_Mike
Here to help

I'll add that we are currently on 14.33.1, but this same issue has also happened on previous firmware versions as well.

RKB405
New here

Did you get anywhere with this? I am having a similar issue, but its with POE clocks. They work perfectly when plugged into Cisco IOS switches. But on meraki they will just stop communicating on the network, they will be powered on but will no longer get ntp time updates from the local PDC, or an internet source. When in this state they do not respond to ping, and only recover after cycling POE on the port. I have tried static IP's on the clocks, a dedicated vlan, and the drops still occur. It is driving me insane. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We had a similar issue with older PoE powered cameras that don't support CDP or LLDP.  Often they won't power up and if they do the data connection won't come up.  If it does, they then often fail with power but no data later.

There is a note somewhere about MS35x switches not working with PoE without LLDP or CDP, perhaps this is your issue?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels