MS350 DHCP Server Gateway IP

SOLVED
KR7766
Here to help

MS350 DHCP Server Gateway IP

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Meraki products and struggling to find where I specify the Gateway IP when configuring DHCP services for a new VLAN/Subnet I configured on an MS350 switch. 

Meraki documentation states: 

"If set to 'Run a DHCP server', the following options will become available: 

• Gateway IP - (Only for Static routes) Indicates what default gateway IP address should be given to clients in this subnet. This address must be in the same subnet as the clients."

Maybe I'm missing it, but I am not seeing a "Gateway IP" option become available. I'm also a little confused about what the "(Only for Static routes)" means or how it applies to DHCP options. 

Any information the community can provide is much appreciated. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki mx and ms already send the vlan ip interface as gateway ip by default. So normally you dont need to do that, only if you want another router to be the gateway for that subnet.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is only for mx. When you want to run a dhcp server for a subnet (static route) not owned by the mx.

KR7766
Here to help

Thanks for your reply WW.

Would it be correct to assume that custom DHCP option 3 (router) is the way to specify the gateway ip handed out by a DHCP server running on an MS switch?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki mx and ms already send the vlan ip interface as gateway ip by default. So normally you dont need to do that, only if you want another router to be the gateway for that subnet.

KR7766
Here to help

WW, This is really good information. I am surprised I wasn't able to find it in the Meraki documentation. Thanks for your help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels